Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much less than 24 hrs it's fermenting like crazy; blow tube is definitely necessary (I made a 1 liter starter).

+1 on the blow off tube. Especially if you use a starter and ferment above 65F.

Brewed mine on Oct 6th and has been in primary ever since. I started crash cooling it this morning in a water bath with ice and ice packs. Hope to have as much yeast fall out of suspension as possible until thursday when I plan to keg it (my first kegged beer!). I can't wait to try this brew off the tap.

+1 on the blow off tube. Especially if you use a starter and ferment above 65F.

Brewed mine on Oct 6th and has been in primary ever since. I started crash cooling it this morning in a water bath with ice and ice packs. Hope to have as much yeast fall out of suspension as possible until thursday when I plan to keg it (my first kegged beer!). I can't wait to try this brew off the tap.

oh man is it great! - have just tap'd into my 2nd keg of this and i think this will be a staple around here for a while :) i plan on starting another one of these this weekend! Our first keg didn't even finish fully carbing and was tap'd out in 4 days :D If the fan fair for this keeps up with my friends, i will have to start asking for a $1 a pint donation to help with the ingredient costs :p

I am brewing this bad boy up tonight. I'm doing a 5-gal batch in a 6.5-gal primary, I'm going to be gone all weekend, and I don't have a blow off tube. I'm scared to walk back into my place Sunday night after hearing of all the misfortunes from other people brewing this recipe! :D

I'll follow up in about 2 months and let you know how it tastes. I'm going to be bottling so I want to make sure it's carbed enough. I hope it's a keeper!

I am brewing this bad boy up tonight. I'm doing a 5-gal batch in a 6.5-gal primary, I'm going to be gone all weekend, and I don't have a blow off tube. I'm scared to walk back into my place Sunday night after hearing of all the misfortunes from other people brewing this recipe! :D

I'll follow up in about 2 months and let you know how it tastes. I'm going to be bottling so I want to make sure it's carbed enough. I hope it's a keeper!

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Wally World and get yourself some clear tubing. It will save yourself cleaning time and you from losing a batch. This thing can get violent.

Trying the extract version of this today. I'm stuck doing a partial boil at ~ 2.5 gallons. Should I adjust the lactose?

Thanks for the tip on the blow-off tube. I usually just use an air-lock but will definitely pick up some tubing today. Beer all over the kitchen floor could bring abrupt halt to my new addiction.

If you are making a 2.5 gallon batch, then yes, cut the lactose in half. If you are making a 5 gallon batch but only boiling 2.5 gallons, then no... leave the lactose level the same.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Probably because I fermented on the low side of the temp range. I did end up with krauesen in my airlock and around my lid though.

Brew day went well except my OG was off the charts at 1070!
Glad I went with the blow-off.

stout alive.jpg

Alright, this brew has been a long time in the coming for me, but I finally just pulled my first pint of this beer from my keg and it is pretty dang good. I changed the name to Socks Off Sweet Stout because I made a few changes to the original recipe and when I was working on this one my infant son was going through a phase where he was constantly pulling is socks off.

I'm new to kegging and still getting a lot of foam/head, so I will have to work on fixing that, but otherwise it's working great. It's still a little undercarbed, but almost there. Here's a pic I took tonight.

IMG_2120.jpg

I can't wait to share this with my family when they come to visit for Thanksgiving. I highly recommend making this recipe if you want a solid, delicious sweet/cream stout. It looks great and won't scare off the light beer drinkers, if you can get them to at least try it.

How funny I pulled my first pint of this tonight as well. I followed the recipe to see if I would experiment later and I have to say its pretty awesome. Mine is carbed perfect and has a super soft mouth feel with lots of great flavor this may be my new favorite cream stout

I'm brewing this up this weekend, and just got everything from my LHBS. They didn't have Denny's yeast, so I'm looking for a good substitute. I have British ale, American ale, and midwests headwaters ale. Will any of these work well?

This is a great recipe.

I just brewed it again with minor changes at the request of SWMBO. She likes sweeter stouts so I upped the lactose to 1lb. and used 1318 yeast. The changes are good but I prefer the original recipe. Wife likes the new batch.

I might brew another batch of the original for me..........Have to keep this around if I can, but it goes fast.

Just bottled this up tonight, the differences in my recipe being an even 3 lbs of both DME's and US-05 yeast. Gotta say, even at bottling with 0 carb this stout is excellent. Can't wait for it carb up. Hopefully I put the right amount of priming sugar in it.. Never carbed a milk stout before. Also my OG was 1.061 and my FG didn't get down to 1.02 like I had hoped. Hard to read totally accurately of course but it's probably 1.024.

Well it's been 10 days in the primary now and I took my first hydrometer reading - 1.028. OG was 1.067 so I think I still have a little ways to go. Also, temp the first few days was about 68 but it just got really cold here in Chicago the last 2 days so now it is more like 61 F in there. I used Wyeast 1028 with a temp range of 60-72 F so I should be good still but hoping that the FG gets closer to 1.015-1.020.

The real problem is that I don't know how much longer I can wait before bottling these up. I took a sip of the hydrometer sample after measuring and ended up finishing the whole thing, it just tasted so damn good!!! I don't know how many of these I'll be "sharing" with people. I think I need to start another batch asap so I can hand out a different brew as christmas gifts. :D

Had several of these out of the bottle now, not yet fully carbed. It is indeed very pleasant, but somehow lacking, at the least the batch that I made. It really doesn't hit you up front with anything at all.. It's just smooth body until the aftertaste when you get hit with the chocolate and caramel.

If you are making a 2.5 gallon batch, then yes, cut the lactose in half. If you are making a 5 gallon batch but only boiling 2.5 gallons, then no... leave the lactose level the same.

Ok, so I've been reading through this thread and I have all of my ingredients ready to go for this brew. Small mistake on my steeping grains and wound up with an extra 0.25lb of Roasted Barley... hopefully not too big of an issue.

I am still very new to brewing and I'm used to the Extract brews of 2.5 Gal boil/5 Gal batch. Now I'm confused though... Do I need to adjust the Hops from the original recipe? I guess I'm still not fully understanding the "hops utilization" thing.

Well, I brewed up this batch a couple days ago. I have decided that I definitely need to invest in a bigger pot. The DME foamed up so much that I was constantly fighting to prevent boil-over. So much so that I forgot to add my hops in right away and didnt get that into the boil until 20 minuted later. Anybody have an idea on how that will affect my brew?

One other thing to note... my OG measured 1.072! Not too worried about it all, but any comments or thoughts on what could have gone awry?

I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing carbed. It's my first kegged batch, so the learning curve is pretty steep at this point, for me. First I overcarbed, so all I'd get was a pint of foam out of the tap. I tried the burst carb technique and I think I over did it.

So vented all CO2 from the beer over the course of two days and then decided to use the "set and forget" method. My kegerator sits at 38*F (I know, too high for a stout, but I'm still dialing it in), so I set the regulator to 10psi for a target of around 2.3-2.4 vols. It's been around 8 days since I set and forgot it. I pulled a pint tonight and it is about half as carbed as I'd want. I guess there is more forgetting to do. ;-)

Otherwise, this beer tastes good. It doesn't have the thick/silky mouthfeel I was expecting, kind of thin, I guess. It definitely nailed the sweet part of the sweet stout. Not a bitter note to be heard of. The hops I used were getting a little old, so maybe they didn't have the AA power that they normally would. Although I remember a significant bitterness from the hydro sample before it went into the fermenter. Weird.

Anyway, long story short, I'm still working on getting this beer where it should be. Wish me luck.

A pic of the pint as I write this. Not much head, unfortunately.

IMG_4095.jpg

I brewed 11 gallons using the all grain recipe... it was delicious after two months and simply amazing after four!

Thanks for the recipe!

I will be brewing a Double deception cream stout this week sometime! My stir starter just came in so i will be able to get a starter going. my est original gravity will be 1.140 - we are going imperial with this one :X

MZRIS said:
I will be brewing a Double deception cream stout this week sometime! My stir starter just came in so i will be able to get a starter going. my est original gravity will be 1.140 - we are going imperial with this one :X

Damn that sounds great...let us know how that turns out. Any body do something similar? I think Im still going to do the KTG clone but...

Mine does not head well either but will likely get better with time.
I brewed the extract version on 05-Nov. Primary for 30 days, Secondary for 1-week @ 50 degrees, primed with corn sugar and bottled. Cracked the first one Christmas eve and it was quite good.
I'm trying to let it age more but it's soooo hard. :)

I'm just brewed up this recipe again today. Taking another stab at it since it got infected last time. I used practically the full .75 oz of magnums in a full boil.. does anyone know how much this will affect the flavor of the beer? Also, I steeped at 166 degrees. Is this considered too high?

Has anybody here done both AG and Extract? What are your thoughts? Did you like one over the other?

Mashing this one right now. My God, it smells delicious! Will have to sub Nugget hops, but I have a very good feeling about this!

NCBeerNut,
Did you ever do the AG version of this recipe? Which one do you like better? AG or extract?

Just brewed this and things didnt go as planned. Mashed in at 150 instead of 152 and ended up with a OG of 1.049....Not quite sure what happened today but didn't bring my A game that is for sure. Oh well its still beer in the end. Looking forward to tasting this on 6 weeks.

Well this is definitely a tasty brew. I am enjoying a bottle right now that has been sitting at 68 degrees for 5 weeks and it is delicious! Nice creamy head, and the best way I can describe this is just a sweet tasting coffee that leaves none of that bitter coffee aftertaste. Coffee flavor is not strong at all though, so even non coffee drinkers should enjoy. Thanks for sharing, I think this will become an annual winter brew for me.

I started this recipe intending to brew it as it was written but as I was milling the grain I discovered I only had half the chocolate malt that the recipe called for so I compensated by doubling the black malt. At 4 1/2 weeks in the fermenter (1 week at 62, the rest at 72) I finally bottled it. At one week after bottling I just had to sample. Double deception! This tastes of coffee and chocolate like it should but it doesn't seem to have much alcohol.....until after I finished the glass. Wow, this tastes good and has a bit of a slow kick too.

My wife hates the smell of beer so I tried to wait to bottle when she wasn't around but I just had to (with her encouragement). This doesn't even smell like beer. She thought it smelled like molasses and I thought it smelled like strong coffee. Nice aroma at bottling.

What do u think about Strain 1332. The only reason I ask I because I live on the 5th floor of an apartment. It's always 23c here or what other yeast would u suggest at a high temp brewing?

Well, I just kegged this up after 3 weeks in the primary. Even flat this is the smoothest stout I have tasted. Once this is bubbly, its going to go down even smoother.

Thanks to the OP, this is going to be a regular in my Keezer from now on!

My first batch of DCS is just about gone. Yesterday, the kindly FedEx man delivered my ingredients for batch #2! It sure is tasty!

glenn514:mug:

this is what i get with brewmaster
it seems to be a little off then the normal recipe
can anyone comment

Deception cream stout
Style: Sweet Stout OG: 1.064
Type: Extract FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.29 %
Calories: 209 IBU's: 20.72
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 3.00 Gal
Color: 36.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 30 days @ 67.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
4.50 lbs 52.94 % Amber Dry Extract 50 mins 1.044
1.50 lbs 17.65 % Wheat Dry Extract 50 mins 1.044
0.75 lbs 8.82 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 50 mins 1.034
0.75 lbs 8.82 % Chocolate Malt 50 mins 1.028
0.50 lbs 5.88 % Roasted Barley 50 mins 1.025
0.50 lbs 5.88 % Lactose 10 mins 1.030

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 21.79 Magnum 50 mins 14.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 Wyeast Labs 1450

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 10 mins Boil
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient 05 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 30 min @ 154.0°F
Add 8.00 qt water @ 166.0°F
Sparge
Sparge 4.00 qt of 170.0°F water over 30 mins

Carbonation
(none)

Notes

Welcome to iBrewMaster.com :: HOME :: Version: 2.753

Just finished the last one acouple nights ago. Changed some things like 6lb of Pilsen light DME, 2.5oz Kent Golding and White labs London Ale yeast. Turned out Awsome. The London Ale yeast gave it slightly whisky barrel taste to it :) After ready the discription of the yeast again it say it can throw of Oaky Esters. Making this one again for sure with the changes I made.

This beer has officially been decided on for one of my wedding beers. Ive made it once before, and even though I screwed up the mash, it still turned out really well. April 7th, at 630 pm, I will be tapping a fresh keg of this stuff!

Just kegged up my first batch that had been aging since late November. The taste is fantastic but I was surprised to find the hoppiness a bit more flavorful than I expected. I am wondering now if I had the right measurement. Regardless, its delicious. I wish I could keep it warmer in my fridge to bring out the flavors more when first poured!

Back