IPA / Hop Scheduling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -

This site has been a life-saver for me so far. I just started about 6 months ago and am hooked. I am going onto my 6th batch, which will be my 3rd attempt at an IPA (the first, I toasted 1lb of crystal too long and ended up with a good Brown Ale, the second ended up not being super hoppy, but decent citrus notes, probably from the Willamette in the dry hop??) Anyways I need a bit of help. I am brewing up a recipe (partial mash) with the following -

6lbs of extra light DME
1 lb of 2 row pale
2 lbs of Marris Otter
.5 lb each or Crystal (40L) and Cara Pils

1 pkg of Safele S-04 English Ale Yeast

The hops are as follows (no schedule yet, that's where I could use a hand) :

4 oz Cascade
4 oz Amarillo
2 oz Citra
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Columbus

I love extremely hoppy IPA's with a slight note of grapefruitiness at the end. Any suggestions on a good schedule (I plan on dry-hopping in the secondary).

Thanks

1 oz Columbus / 60

1 each Cascade, Amarillo, Simcoe / FO-Hop stand for 45 min after chilled to 145 deg

1 each Cascade, Amarillo, plus .5 Simcoe / Dryhop at end of fermentation in primary

Then same amount for Second dry hop, 7 days before packaging.

1 oz Columbus / 60

1 each Cascade, Amarillo, Simcoe / FO-Hop stand for 45 min after chilled to 145 deg

1 each Cascade, Amarillo, plus .5 Simcoe / Dryhop at end of fermentation in primary

Then same amount for Second dry hop, 7 days before packaging.

Word. Exactly what I was thinking, except do the Columbus at FW (as you fill the kettle after the mash). It'll add some dank and citrus-y flavors to the beer and round out the bitterness some.

6lbs of extra light DME
1 lb of 2 row pale
2 lbs of Marris Otter
.5 lb each or Crystal (40L) and Cara Pils

1 pkg of Safele S-04 English Ale Yeast

The hops are as follows (no schedule yet, that's where I could use a hand) :

4 oz Cascade
4 oz Amarillo
2 oz Citra
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Columbus

I love extremely hoppy IPA's with a slight note of grapefruitiness at the end.

I'm very familiar with this type of beer. For your goals, get rid of the Maris Otter and replace it with American 2 row. Get rid of the Citra and Amarillo. Replace it with Centennial along with more Simcoe and Columbus. Although 1 oz. Amarillo would be fine... but Citra is definitely fruity/tropical and not very citrusy/dank at all. Carapils is unnecessary for an extract or mostly extract/partial mash IPA. You'll want to use about 8-9% corn sugar for added dryness, so use that in lieu of an equal amount of extract. Use US-05 and keep your ferm. temps in the mid to upper 60s constantly without budge. Dryhop in upper 60s for 6-7 days. Carb moderate... not too high, not too low. Do Not FWH. Follow a 60/20/0/DH schedule and you will be amazed. Use more late and dryhops than you would think is necessary. Everything will be rounded out just fine with 9-12 total oz per 5 gallon batch. Do Not top off with plain water. Brew a full volume batch from start to finish. Good luck.

Back