Clone beers version of gulden draak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I have the book and got the ingrediiants for an xmas gift. Put the receipe in beersmith and only gor srm of around 13. The book srm is 22. Something is missing. Does any body have the book? That can help me out. Maybee add some dark sugar or debitered black

I don't have the book, but I've had Gulden Draak and have done my own clone of it just recently. I made my own dark candi sugar that wound up being lighter than I thought, and that caused a significant lack of color (like around 16srm instead of 20+).

Definitely the candi sugar is where the color is coming from for this beer, and that color I don't know if it's as tightly regulated or predictable (in the sugar) as in malts.

The book shows SRM to be 26-28

Specialty malts are: 1lb German Crystal 65L, 5 oz Belgian CaraMunich, 4 oz Belgian biscuit, 2 oz acid malt.

Cheers

The book shows SRM to be 26-28

Specialty malts are: 1lb German Crystal 65L, 5 oz Belgian CaraMunich, 4 oz Belgian biscuit, 2 oz acid malt.

Cheers

There has to be a mistake with this receipe. There is no way to get 26-28 SRM with that type and amount of specialty malt. I am going to buy a bag of D-90 and toss it in

There has to be a mistake with this receipe. There is no way to get 26-28 SRM with that type and amount of specialty malt. I am going to buy a bag of D-90 and toss it in

scratch that one pound of D-180 even that will only get me to 24 SRM

It's a Belgian, there's no way it doesn't have candi sugar in it, right? I maintain that's where all the color's coming from.

It's a Belgian, there's no way it doesn't have candi sugar in it, right? I maintain that's where all the color's coming from.

The receipe does call for one pound of rice solids. I never used them I am guessing that they ferment out and leave beer dry just like sugar

Haven't read the book but here is the recipe I used with excellent results.

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.1 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 19.83 pounds
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.110
Final gravity 1.022
Alcohol (by volume) 11.5%
Bitterness (IBU)23
Color (SRM)25.8°L
Yeast 4 liquid packs White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars 19.83 pounds
Pilsen 36ppg, 1°L 10.01 pounds 50.5%
Maris Otter 38ppg, 4°L 5.80 pounds 29.2%
Liquid Candi - Dark 32ppg, 180°L 1.26 pounds 6.4%
Crystal 40L 34ppg, 40°L 1.05 pounds 5.3%
Wheat 38ppg, 2°L 1.05 pounds 5.3%
Aromatic 36ppg, 1.5°L 0.32 pounds 1.6%
CaraMunich 34ppg, 50°L 0.21 pounds 1.1%
Biscuit 35ppg, 25°L 0.13 pounds 0.6%

Hops 2.87 ounces

Hallertauer hops 5%, Whole 0.84 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Goldings (Styrian) hops 5%, Whole 1.35 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Goldings (Styrian) hops 5%, Whole 0.67 ounces

Ferment
14 days @ 66-72°F

That is roughly the recipe I used, with some changes. But definitely I'd wager a Belgian with candi sugar/syrup is more accurate over a Belgian with rice.

That is roughly the recipe I used, with some changes. But definitely I'd wager a Belgian with candi sugar/syrup is more accurate over a Belgian with rice.

Since I got these ingrediants as a gift this is what I am going to try

16.75# Dingemans Pils (in Kit)
1# Crystal 60 (in Kit)
1# Wheat (in Kit)
5oz Caramunich (in Kit)
4oz Biscuit (in Kit)
2oz Acid Malt (in Kit)
4oz Dingemans Chocolate (have it laying around)
4oz Dehusked Carafa III (have it laying around)
1# Homemade Candy Syrup 80L-90L

Going to skip the rice solids. This should give me 27SRM and 1.109SG with my efficiency

Looks interesting. The boy and I are brewing a big Belgian this weekend, a Golden Strong Ale.

I moved this thread from the recipe database, which is for tried and true recipes, to the recipe and ingredients forum, where more members might see it.

I've done this twice, once extract and once all- grain.

Both are good, but the extract is phenomenal, but its now 4 years old and has evolved very well. My all-grain version is 1 year old and is young, it's good but seems thin.

Extract:
9.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
.75 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.25 Special B
1 oz Sterling (60 minutes)
.5 oz Saaz (30 minutes)
.5 oz Saaz (5 minutes)
1 lb soft brown candi sugar (end of boil)
1 lb priming sugar (end of boil)
1 lb Dark Candi Syrup (at high krausen)
WY3739 Flanders Golden
Re-pitch with T-58 at bottling.

All-Grain:
12.75 lbs Belgian Pilsner
.75 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.25 Special B
.50 Saaz (30 minutes)
.5 Saaz (5 minutes)
1 lb Corn Sugar (0 minutes)
1 lb Soft Brown Suagr (0 minutes)
1 lb Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (high krausen)
WY3739 Flanders Golden
Mash @ 149
Re-pitch T-58 with priming sugar at kegging/bottling.

VaBrewer said:
I've done this twice, once extract and once all- grain.

Both are good, but the extract is phenomenal, but its now 4 years old and has evolved very well. My all-grain version is 1 year old and is young, it's good but seems thin.

Extract:
9.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
.75 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.25 Special B
.5 oz Saaz (30 minutes)
.5 oz Saaz (5 minutes)
1 lb soft brown candi sugar (end of boil)
1 lb priming sugar (end of boil)
1 lb Dark Candi Syrup (at high krausen)
WY3739 Flanders Golden
Re-pitch with T-58 at bottling.

All-Grain:
12.75 lbs Belgian Pilsner
.75 lbs Belgian Aromatic
.25 Special B
.50 Saaz (30 minutes)
.5 Saaz (5 minutes)
1 lb Corn Sugar (0 minutes)
1 lb Soft Brown Suagr (0 minutes)
1 lb Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (high krausen)
WY3739 Flanders Golden
Mash @ 149
Re-pitch T-58 with priming sugar at kegging/bottling.

I notice you repitch and prime in the keg. I was thinking about doing this for my belgians. Do you notice a difference? I know that westmalle does this

It does seem to help, with the flavor as well as carbonation. The main yeast is either dead or way stressed at this stage, so adding some priming sugar with new yeast is a plus. I have yet to try the T-58 by itself in a brew.

I have the book and got the ingrediiants for an xmas gift. Put the receipe in beersmith and only gor srm of around 13. The book srm is 22. Something is missing. Does any body have the book? That can help me out. Maybee add some dark sugar or debitered black

LOL! I was just coming here to pose the exact question - clearly the recipe is goofed in the book. I looked it over a dozen times, like what am I missing, where is the color coming from.

It's got to be the candi sugar, and perhaps even a half pound of chocolate malt perhps? Perhaps some brown sugar while we're at it!

Anyway, I"m glad it wasn't just me on this. I thought I was losing my mind.

The CSI recipe:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/gulden_draak_9000_clone_-_040.pdf

Latest posts

Back