ale fermenting ok below 65 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogref

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer (an 'American Cream Ale) last Saturday and everything went well I think. I made sure to cool the wort down to 75 degrees before adding the yeast, sealing the lid and putting the vapor lock on. According to what I've read, I'm supposed to be seeing 'a lot of activity in the fermenter' within 1-2 days. I'm not sure what that means exactly but from what I can tell there doesn't seem to be too much excitement in there (it's a white plastic bucket so I can't see exactly what's happening).

My concern is that it may be too cool in the pantry where I'm storing the fermenter bucket. We usually keep the thermostat on the house around 65 degrees, sometimes cooler than that when we're not home. The pantry where I'm keeping the fermenter always seems a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. So let's say for the sake of argument that it spends a good amount of time between 60-65 degrees.

Did I kill the yeast or is it still doing its thing, just much slower? I understand that lager yeasts like cooler temperatures but can ale yeasts do ok at the temps I mentioned?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian

I brewed my first batch of beer (an 'American Cream Ale) last Saturday and everything went well I think. I made sure to cool the wort down to 75 degrees before adding the yeast, sealing the lid and putting the vapor lock on. According to what I've read, I'm supposed to be seeing 'a lot of activity in the fermenter' within 1-2 days. I'm not sure what that means exactly but from what I can tell there doesn't seem to be too much excitement in there (it's a white plastic bucket so I can't see exactly what's happening).

My concern is that it may be too cool in the pantry where I'm storing the fermenter bucket. We usually keep the thermostat on the house around 65 degrees, sometimes cooler than that when we're not home. The pantry where I'm keeping the fermenter always seems a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. So let's say for the sake of argument that it spends a good amount of time between 60-65 degrees.

Did I kill the yeast or is it still doing its thing, just much slower? I understand that lager yeasts like cooler temperatures but can ale yeasts do ok at the temps I mentioned?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian
Brian,
I had a similar concerns a few months ago. My first beer turned out great. Take a look at this thread.

Everything will be just fine.

Thanks for the quick response and the link, after doing some more reading on this site it sounds like I'm having typical beginner fears :)

I plan to let the brew do it's thing for another week and then I'll do a hydrometer reading to see what's going on.

your fears are similar to what I had...although mine were justifiable since I knew I probably killed off my yeast by rehydrating with too hot of water. Take a look at my thread if it helps with your worries:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-first-brew-day-94790/

Mine is in the basement where it's 60-65* depending on the time of day (like today it's probably in the higher range because it's so nice out). Provided everything was added together correctly...I'm sure your brew is fine at 65*.

60-65F ambiernt is great for almost all ale yeasts, and that temperature is especially fine early on in the fermentation. The actual internal temperature of the fermenting wort is going to be 5-7F higher than your ambient temperature, so even at your lowest point the yeast is going to be happy. As the most active part of the fermentation subsides, the temperature will drop to about 2F higher than ambient until fermentation stops entirely. The added bonus of fermenting at this temperature is that many yeasts will ferment out cleaner and with no fruity esters, resulting in a cleaner tasting end product. No worries, I bet you'll have a great beer in a couple weeks!

that is an excellent fermentation temp. if you don't see airlock activity, the co2 may be seeping out somewhere around the lid. i'd wait a week or so and let the hydrometer tell you if everything is going well. i'm sure you're fine.

Back