Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham Dry
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Unknown
Final Gravity
Unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Unknown
Color
Straw
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
See text
I call this my Holiday Extra Pale Ale. I brewed it as an exercise, to see if I could make a good tasting, very light colored pale ale suitable for guests duing the holidays who might not have an appreciation for my usual heavily hopped pale ales. I wanted to make something with a light color and as much clarity as I could manage that would have a broader appeal than my normal beers, but still be something that a beer lover could enjoy.

3.3 lbs (one can) Muntons Extra Light LME

3 lbs dry rice solids.

1/2 lb #10 (i.e., palest) crushed crystal for steeping.

1 oz Centennial hops

1 oz Cascade hops

(hops obviously can be varied to taste - if I had any on hand I would have used Amarillo instead of Centennial).

Nottingham ale yeast (or equivalent)

Irish moss.

I used only half my normal amount of steeping grains for this, and took them out as soon at the water temperature reached 160F. I put the rice solids right into the boil, but did a late addition for the malt extract, at about 40 minutes. My hops schedule was like this:

Centennial (all) at 15 minutes.

Cascade (1/2 ounce) at 45 minutes.

Cascade (1/2 ounce) at 55 minutes.

The Irish moss went in at 45 minutes. I filled my brew house (er...kitchen) sink with ice water and immersed my brew pot to get a good hard cold break. The light (and reduced amount of) steeping grains, rice solids and late addition of the extract help to keep this very pale in color. The hard cold break, Irish moss and fanatically careful racking help with clarity.

I brewed this on 11/15/08 and bottled it on 12/5/08 - no secondary, but if you like using a secondary, you could do so). I tasted the first one about a week later - still young and a bit cloudy, no head to speak of, but carbonated - it was delicious.

I've been unable to resist them these past couple of weeks. I took one over to my LHBS the other day because I was so happy with it and offered it up for tasting. The clarity has greatly improved, the color is like pale straw and it is REALLY good - very balanced and a hit with every one who has tried it.

Let me know if you take a shot at it. I will most definitely make this again.

I am going to take a shot at this with homegrown Cascades for the whole hop bill. I am also going to use DME instead of LME (since I have it) and up the rice solids to 3.25# and reduce the crystal to .25 and use crystal 20 instead.

I will do the same schedule as you with every ingredient.

I am planning on brewing next week, so I will let you know how it turns.

WW

Steeping grains contribute to head retention (but even with none at all, eventually head retention seems to work out over time). A little extra time in the bottle may be needed. I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

3 pounds of Rice Syrup Solids would equate to 44% of your grain bill! Isn't that waaaaay more than should be used? I have read that Rice Syrup Solids should not equal more than 15% of your bill? For the price, couldn't you substitute some of that with Light DME without affecting the beer? I think they ferment close to the same rate.

Yes, it's a lot, but there is no hard and fast rule about how much or how little to use. Even with a late addition extra light LME or DME, you will not get the kind of straw-pale coloring that going a bit overboard with rice solids gets you. The point of this recipe is not to produce another "normal" American Ale variant (which is what I usually brew - some love it. some not so much), it is to make a lighter flavored and colored beer that will appeal to those people who wonder why you don't make something more like what they are used to drinking.

I currently have a variation of this recipe in the primary, so I will let you know how it turns out!

Has anyone tried using all Rice Solids (6-7lbs)? I currently have on hand and was interested in using all Rice solids, and minimal 1oz Hallertau, but rack on top of 3lbs of Oregon Apricot Pureee. Danstar Nottingham for yeast.

Please let me know if you think this would be drinkable? Would the Yeast be able to properly ferment off of only the Rice solids?

Please let me know your thoughts...

I would expect that the the yeast would ferment. I think the beer would be pretty bland, but as a base for a very light fruit beer, that might be just fine. If I was trying to go this way, I would consider maybe increasing the steeping grains to a whole pound, just for the extra color and tiny bit of flavor and aroma they give.

Check the thread in the yeast and fermentation forum about Nottingham yeast - they've had issues lately.

Back