Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had issues like this in the past, the only thing I can't eliminate is the fermenter - it's a stainless steel one but it could be cheap quality? We also got a metallic staining around the krausen ring which I've not had in the past.
Needless to say, but thoroughly re-check and re-clean everything that touches your wort (and beer). Then sanitize.

Perhaps a valve or port (treads!) wasn't quite clean, then the residue stayed damp and got moldy.
Gaskets/seals are also notorious for growing mold, tight spaces that stay damp.

Cleaners clean, sanitizers sanitize. There's no single treatment that does both in one and the same step.

Somehow after bottling I lay the bottle down for some reason I can no longer remember, when I go to check it after a few days I found something stick to the inside wall of the bottle and does not seems to be going anywhere. Are these infections as well?
IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG

Somehow after bottling I lay the bottle down for some reason I can no longer remember, when I go to check it after a few days I found something stick to the inside wall of the bottle and does not seems to be going anywhere. Are these infections as well?
View attachment 845276View attachment 845277
That’s the yeast slurry/trub in your bottle. All yeast/trub with drip to the bottom of your bottles when bottle conditioning. Since you laid yours sideways, it collected on the side.

Now to say it’s infected or not, this picture wouldn’t be able to help you there because all microbes from the beer would drop out and be in this sediment, brewers yeast, wild microbes, and all

That's not an infection. It's sedimented (settled out) yeast, and other solids (trub) that were suspended in your beer when bottling. They always end up on the "bottom," which in your case is along the side now. They may slowly sink/slide down over time.

Although the trub/yeast is drinkable, and harmless, most find it unappealing.

To give you clear, transparent beer in your glass when pouring, avoid getting the trub in your glass. For that keep the side where the "trub" is on top, and pour gently, in a steady stream, without "glugging" or tilting back, until the bottle is nearly empty. Then as soon as you see trub appearing in the neck, tilt the bottle back quickly.

Third or fourth pull of a beer I kegged two weeks ago. Haven’t brewed in a year. Is this normal sediment or bad sediment I shouldn’t be drinking? They’re more like strings. It’s a dry hopped mosaic ipa. Very of putting to see but tastes good.
IMG_4270.jpeg

Third or fourth pull of a beer I kegged two weeks ago. Haven’t brewed in a year. Is this normal sediment or bad sediment I shouldn’t be drinking? They’re more like strings. It’s a dry hopped mosaic ipa. Very of putting to see but tastes good.
That looks like a pellicle, and a thick one at that. "Stringiness" often goes along with that.
Are you using a floating dip tube perhaps?

Most sediment (yeast and fine trub) will mix in with the beer when poured, and make your beer cloudy, sometimes with a little precipitation on the bottom. I've never seen it "float" like foam.

That looks like a pellicle, and a thick one at that. "Stringiness" often goes along with that.
Are you using a floating dip tube perhaps?

Most sediment (yeast and fine trub) will mix in with the beer when poured, and make your beer cloudy, sometimes with a little precipitation on the bottom. I've never seen it "float" like foam.
Thanks for the response. No floating dip tube. I’ve never seen anything like that either which is why I’m so thrown off on what it could be lol.

Back