2:00 Minute Drill (Slightly Hoppy Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp36

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Southern Tier Live
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 @ 32
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
See Below
So I wanted to brew a session beer that that had to meet the following criteria:
1 - Quick Turnaround Time
2 - Had enough character to be interesting
3 - Would be appealing to non-craft beer drinkers
4 - Cheap to make
5 - Something I can drink alot of on Sundays

So I decided on a slightly hoppier version of a cream ale, using minute rice as the adjunct. The resulting beer is just what i was looking for. Slighty more bitter that your standard BMC offerings, nice light body from the rice, and enough hop flavor/aroma that I won't get bored, yet not enough to turn off people who don't like hoppy beers. If I had to compare it to something, I would say its almost like Victory Summer Love, but with a lighter body and less pronounced hop character. I brewed this beer on 8/24, cold crashed for 2 days starting 9/1, Kegged and fined with gelatin on 9/3, and pulled my first pint on 9/5. So a little under 2 weeks from grain to glass and the gelatin already has it cleared up pretty nicely. It also cost just under $20 to produce.

Ingredients
  • 8 lbs Pils
  • 2 lbs Minute Rice

Mash @ 150F for 60 min.
  • 0.40 oz Columbus @ 60min (~25 IBU)
  • 1.00 oz Amarillo @ Flame Out

V5kBFJf.jpg

I actually used harvested yeast i cultured up from a couple bottles of Southern Tier Live pale ale.

But you can substitute and clean ale yeast (WLP001, 1056, S-05)

Back