Metal shed for brew shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKiRkLeS

Reaction score
I am thinking of turning my shed at my new house into the brew room.
It's similar to this. I'll get pictures and measurments after the storm passes.

Just need some suggestions/enlightenment to turning this into my homebrewery. Should I put shelving in and pull my equipment out for brew days and use it as storage?

I assume I would have to put in vents if I were to brew inside...

Thanks guys.

shed.jpg

Are you brewing with propane/Natural Gas, or electric? That will make a big difference in the ventilation department. Ventilation is good, but not crucial for electric brewing as you aren't burning anything and you only produce 'harmless' steam. You are however with burners and you would need to build a ventilation hood over your kettles to draw out CO and such. I'm not sure of the CFM requirements for this, but you can pick up exhaust hoods relatively cheaply at places like ikea...or make your own hood out of material of choice and plumb it to a ventilation motor that vents outside. Happy brewing!

image-3441757927.jpg

Propane. So I figured a hood would be needed. May just make it for storage

Attachments

• image-2183914587.jpg
    image-2183914587.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • image-404196659.jpg
    image-404196659.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 940
Yeah, you're going to want a hood vent. When it gets cold any steam will condense on the metal and run down to the channel the walls sit in or to the floor.

Do you have rodent's? If so, use metal containers for grain storage.

No rodent problems but yea, I would make sure everything is rodent proof. One of my concerns is that everything will be out in the elements for the most part. Protected from rain/snow and such but it'll be just as cold or hot in there as it is outside.

I guess I am trying to find a way to utalize my space...

I had a similar old metal shed and I couldn't even stand up in the damn thing.
Looks like a good place for storage either way, just set up to brew out in front of it.

Do you think that shed could support a bunch of stuff to hanging off it's skeleton? If you can actually move around in it and it will handle it then brew on man!

For a bigger long term project, you could insulate the walls, floor, and ceiling, add a small AC unit, and basically turn the whole shed into a walk-in. It would take alot of time, but wouldn't be particularly expensive.

Sorry all but I just found this and had to respond.

I have a Metal Shed. Mine is framed with 2x4s and plenty big enough to stand in. Only roughly 8'x8' it has become my brew house.

Ventilated by a large open door, small window on opposite end and typical double kitchen hood vent. A fan mounted on the ceilng can be swung down pulling heat out the door.

A propane powered kettle and liqueur tank in a shed. Works fine for me year round. Yes it gets warm in the summer with the burners heating to boil. Remains comfortable during the boil and in the winter. Just be aware of the potential hazards. CO and fire. Hence the 2 fire extinguishers and CO detector.

If you build it. You will brew.

These photos are a little dated ( mick like this thread) but you get the idea.
20160831_203703.jpg
20160812_132426.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back