What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with bandt9299. I'm not a big fan of dogfish Head's beer. Just too many funky flavored for my taste. 60 Minute is decent. I'll keep trying their other brews and maybe there will be one I like.

Snagg30341 said:
Pliney the elder.

Sorry. Didn't like it at all.

Blasphemer!!!! Just kidding I've never had it but it seems like it and dfh 90 are the standard that all iipas are held to.

Wait is this an April fools?

I agree with bandt9299. I'm not a big fan of dogfish Head's beer. Just too many funky flavored for my taste. 60 Minute is decent. I'll keep trying their other brews and maybe there will be one I like.

I tend to agree about some of their beer being over the edge of 'trend setting', but their Imperial pilsner and Indian Brown ale are both really tasty brews. I respect them for pushing the brewing envelope, but some of their styles are just a little too far out there for my taste buds. Different strokes though...

That's your WORST craft beer of all time?

It's a tough life when you've had to slum with some RR beers. I like to put mine in a paper sack and drink them as fast as I can to avoid the horrible taste. Of course I wash my litterbox with Duvel, so I know what it's like to suffer.

That's your WORST craft beer of all time?

Some of us are not huge hop-heads. I appreciate an IPA that has good hop FLAVOR, but I still do not dig the uber-bitter IBU race that IPA brewers seem to be engaging in. Too many IPA's and IIPA's remind me of the old "bitter beer face" commercial. Just sayin....

I drink beer for flavor, not to say that I am more manly than you because I can tolerate a 150 IBU Imperial IPA and you can't.

I hope I do not offend anyone with this, but I can understand why someone would rate Pliny as one of the worst craft beers they had tasted, especially if they are a malt head/stout/Belgian fan like me.

DrummerBoySeth said:
Some of us are not huge hop-heads. I appreciate an IPA that has good hop FLAVOR, but I still do not dig the uber-bitter IBU race that IPA brewers seem to be engaging in. Too many IPA's and IIPA's remind me of the old "bitter beer face" commercial. Just sayin....

I drink beer for flavor, not to say that I am more manly than you because I can tolerate a 150 IBU Imperial IPA and you can't.

I hope I do not offend anyone with this, but I can understand why someone would rate Pliny as one of the worst craft beers they had tasted, especially if they are a malt head/stout/Belgian fan like me.

^+1

I rarely enjoy an IPA these days, but occasionally they are alright if circumstances are right. Really liked them when I first got into beer but there is just so much more to beer than loads of hops. Also really hate the pissing contest and know several people who drink IPAs just for that reason...

I might get hung for this but a buddy left a stone double bastard at my house a while ago... Ran outa beer and figured I'd drink it. Poured the last third down the drain.... Alcohol abuse 0.0

Really in to Belgians and sours these days.

^+1

I rarely enjoy an IPA these days, but occasionally they are alright if circumstances are right. Really liked them when I first got into beer but there is just so much more to beer than loads of hops. Also really hate the pissing contest and know several people who drink IPAs just for that reason...

I might get hung for this but a buddy left a stone double bastard at my house a while ago... Ran outa beer and figured I'd drink it. Poured the last third down the drain.... Alcohol abuse 0.0

Really in to Belgians and sours these days.

Belgians and sours are a fantastic group of beers to be into to. Still figuring out what kind of hops I like in Ipas so I still snag those. I also pick up a lot of Belgians and a buddy got me into sours and I gotta say I am pretty hooked on them too.

Hate to be that guy but I'm going to pile on ANY of the Rogue Voodoo Donut beers. It wasn't even the maple/bacon extract flavors, the base beer was BAD, unpleasant to drink.

When explaining to your buddy, why exactly, his Double Bastard no longer exists, please spare him that last part... with the pouring and the drain and such. He doesn't need to hear that.

ReefKeeper said:
When explaining to your buddy, why exactly, his Double Bastard no longer exists, please spare him that last part... with the pouring and the drain and such. He doesn't need to hear that.

Eh... He is the type to drink it just to say he drinks it. 99% sure he doesn't even like it. He lives out of state and I already crushed his dreams of coming back to a year old double bastard (gag). ;-)

A bottle of Heineken that had been seemingly opened, pissed into by an asparagus-swallowing wallaby, then brought as close to sun as possible without it exploding.

DFH120. Why on earth they would try to make a beer taste and affect you like jet fuel is beyond me.

Ha! I love DFH 120. My favorite DFH is the Namaste, but I will admit that I bought 3 bottles together of Namaste and it basically exploded in my glass with foam and the taste was not as I recall from my previous experiences with it. Might be that they have some QC issues.:drunk:

I bought a bomber of new belgiums tranatlantique kriek from their lips of faith series. that stuff was pretty nasty.

I bought a bomber of new belgiums tranatlantique kriek from their lips of faith series. that stuff was pretty nasty.

Not one of their best...

Next time go with the La Folie Sour Brown (if your pockets are deep enough) or their Heavenly Feijoa... Both are very good if you like that style.

The title of the thread is "What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?". Worst implies a beer that is so riddled with off-flavors, whether through the brewing/fermentation process or distribution process, that it is rendered epically undrinkable. Bashing an IPA because you don't like the direction of IPAs seems petty. I agree that IPAs seem to be a chest thumping group, but can you say with a straight face that Pliny contains egregious off-flavors? I don't particularly like stouts or porters but I can tell the difference between a well brewed example and a poorly made one.

Kennebunkport Pumpkin ale. My wife got it at trader joe's. Undrinkable. A few of my own homebrew experiments have been dumpers too... but can't be innovative without experimenting.

Woodchuck Hard Pumpkin Cider. Nastiest stuff I've ever tasted.

I found it while passing through England several years back and thought to myself "hey, maybe I'll give it a second try, a little closer to the source... THAT will change my mind, right?"

Still skunk drippings. Ditch the clear glass, folks. Same experience every time I've tried Innis and Gunn, too.

a) I wouldn't really consider Old Speckled Hen a craft beer

and

b) You need to try it on (hand pull) tap, it's much better then.

Have to say though, it's not one of my favourites. Don't much care for Innis and Gunn either.

I have a new one for me. Maybe not the worst but definatly undrinkable. Dogfish Head Immort Ale. The flavor of peat smoke in a beer makes me gag. It almost made me vomit.

Choc anything. All of them taste like chalk in the aftertaste, which sucks because I really enjoy helping out the local businesses.

That would have to be Old Rasputin.

Bought a four pack a few months ago, and the beer tasted strongly of autolysed yeast.

I would also have to agree. I haven't had any other BGSAs other than that, I hope its not a good representative of the style

I was given a sixer as a gift and after having one I pretty much gave the rest away. I don't know what it is about that beer but my pallet does not like it at all.

Lynchburg Lager - I drank 2 of the 6 and offered the rest away. I still have 1 left from several months ago. It tasted tasted like a skunky and "lite" malt liquor.

I like Red Brick's Brown Ale but everything else from them I didn't cared for.

That would have to be Old Rasputin.

Bought a four pack a few months ago, and the beer tasted strongly of autolysed yeast.

I'd give that another try if I were you. It sounds like the four pack you had went bad. That beer is delightful. Unless you don't like RISs...In that case avoid it like a hooker with a cold sore.

I'd give that another try if I were you. It sounds like the four pack you had went bad. That beer is delightful. Unless you don't like RISs...In that case avoid it like a hooker with a cold sore.

It really is a delightful RIS. I agree, possibly a bad batch. Have you had other RISs? Did you enjoy those at all?

reed1911 said:
Choc anything. All of them taste like chalk in the aftertaste, which sucks because I really enjoy helping out the local businesses.

Choc isn't really that bad IMO, but its not my favorite either. I've had much worse. I had a bottle of Mustang Golden ale a couple of weeks ago, and most of it went down the drain. Awful stuff. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I probably won't try it again for a while.

I've tried the Wa****a Wheat, American Ale, and Amber and all three are fine, nothing spectacular but not bad.

Back