Hopped Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
I'm Thing of maybe hopping my next cider, I;m not sure with what type of hops but i bet it will be interesting. Has anyone tried anything like this yet? if so what did it turn out like?

Well then maybe i will scratch this whole idea and wait to see what my cinnomon/ brown sugar cider i am fermenting!!!! :rockin:

Cinnamon/brown sugar cider is good stuff, so if apfelwein. Leave hops to the beer-brewers, think of cider more like the wine-makers and the mead-makers as far as additions and blending is concerned.

This is the point of these boards, throwing out an idea and having other people tell you if it works or not, from their own personal experience. It's a beautiful thing.

mike

I know this is a really old thread, but saw it and thought i would throw in my 2 cents. Good ciders usually come from a blend of apples that include some bitter sharps. If youre making your home cider from AJ, then it likely does not include these more full bodied apples. I've found that if you are really, and i stress, really light handed with a hop addition by boiling say 1/2 oz of a more floral mild hop in a couple hundred ML of water, and then blend that concoction in a 5 gallon batch, it can add some of the back of mouth bitterness that a good cider derives from more tannic apples. Its cheating, but its better than a thin cider made from just table variety apples. Give it a shot, curious to see if it works for ya!

I spice my cider with everything you would put in an apple pie. I then do a 90 min boil with 1oz of citra. The citrus notes in the hops blend very well with the spices and the sweetness of the apple. After all it's homebrew experiment with what you think you like.

if your still thinking of this idea, did you check out Brandon_O's hopped graff? I just made it. basically its 1 part ale 4 parts cider and its pretty good. Guys in that thread compare it to a dry cider with a slightly bittering hops to even out the apple tartness. just a lil hops though. the ale part adds a bit body and creaminess to the cider part. like i said i just brewed some and it came out pretty good with an ABV of 7%. I'm still pretty new but it was an easy enough recipe to follow.

Back