Stove Top or Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimo281

Reaction score
I figured I would start out on my stove to keep everything nice in neat, I live in the country with no garage so outside is all dirt. I thought I could just brew inside until I saved up to pour a little slab, I need one anyways for the BBQ pit and what not but when I brought home my new 21 QT pot I'm not kind of thinking it won't work out. It fits on it but it just doesn't seem like it's going to be very effective, not to sure but it only cost me 20 bucks.

My girlfriend picked me up a smoker as an early valentines day present and I noticed a turkey fryer that came with a 30 QT aluminum pot for only 30 bucks more than what my pot cost me, not to bad, only downside is I have to buy a propane tank but those can't be to expensive off craigslist.

Well here's some pics if you can make out how big the pot is compared to my burner let me know what yall think. Either way I won't be out to much money I just want what will work out best.

295dbh0.jpg

18zry8.jpg

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I might end up just taking it back tomorrow and picking up the turkey fryer, I have to go back and get a pyrex measuring cup anyways, and some football food. Hopefully I will get enough advice to make a good decision by that time lol

I brewed my first 5 batches with a very similar set-up. It just takes a while to get to a boil, but it should work. The only problem with your set-up is the chance that it can scorch. You have to keep the burner on high to maintain/start a boil, and that can cause some scorching problems. Stir often and do late extract additions to help.. I would consider the propane, because you will likely want to take things to the next level, anyway.

FWIW, I'm currently boiling 6.5 gallons in a 10 gallon pot on my electric stove (all-grain biab). I think you'll be fine with your setup long enough to get a hang of the brewing process.

Also, my pot cost me $32 at winco.

i have been using the stove for my first 2 batches.. it works, just takes a little while to get to a boil.. next step will be the fryer with propane for me

Costco sells propane tanks for 25 bucks plus about 11 to fill it up. Not sure if you've got one around you

I'm not to worried about propane it can't be to bad, atleast I dont see myself having to refill it enough for it to be a problem. I really want the fryer because then I can alsouse It for crablegs and crawfish lol I really just liked the idea of brewing inside. I guess worse come to worse if I get the fryer I could just throw it on the stove if I feel like trying an inside brew.

Get the turkey fryer. You can get a Blue Rhino at just about any grocery store, and it's only ~$20 when you get a "refill". 30 qts will also let you do either full boil extract or 5 gal AG. It is so much more flexible. FWIW, I can get 4-5 10 gal boils (w/ AG mashing and sparges) out of a blue rhino tank before I need another. I have a 55K BTU Bayou Classic burner. PROpane = NOpain.

I also suggest getting a propane burner. I'm no Hank Hill, but after my second stove top batch (when In had trouble reaching a boil) I decided a propane burner was the way to go. I haven't looked back since.

I'm not to worried about propane it can't be to bad, atleast I dont see myself having to refill it enough for it to be a problem. I really want the fryer because then I can alsouse It for crablegs and crawfish lol I really just liked the idea of brewing inside. I guess worse come to worse if I get the fryer I could just throw it on the stove if I feel like trying an inside brew.

I'd recommend not burning propane indoors. Dying for your brew seems a bit extreme to me.

You will go propane once you have your first boil over and have to clean burnt sticky wort off your stove

I used my 10 gallon pot on the stove last week to do a 3 gallon BIAB. I have a glass stove top and it had no problems boiling the 3+ gallons.

My first four were extract on the stove then 2 partial mashes before getting my turkey fryer.

Nowadays it is AG 5 gallon batches on the fryer burner.

I have a glass top electric, tried boiling 3gal water in a 20qt pot as a test. That would only hold the boil with the lid on (and that took forever), and died to a low simmer within minutes of taking it off... so I had to get a propane burner.

You might want to look for a different burner for your stove if it won't boil the 3 gallons. My new stove has enough power in either of the big burners to boil 6 1/2 gallons. I got the turkey fryer to do it outside and found that with a cold wind blowing it couldn't bring it to a boil so I brought the big pot in and found that my stove boiled it just fine. In your case the hot summer sun may drive you indoors to brew.

It all depends on your stove in my opinion. I just recently got a 32 qt pot so I can move up from the 2.5 gallon batches I have been doing. Yesterday I did a test on my gas stove and it took an hour for 6 gallons to come to a boil... I'm dying to get my hands on a propane burner now.

Depends how good the brew is.

I think he meant to bring the pot inside to put on the stove.

LOL yeah I wasn't saying to bring the fryer inside. Looks like I'm about to head back up to the store...hopefully my kit gets here this week so I can get something going. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back