Questions on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in the extract forum, but didn't get much response.

Positives, negatives, suggestions on making the beer better/more to style, suggestions to go eff myself. Any feedback is appreciated.

1oz. Nugget (60 min)
6oz. Black Patent Malt
8oz. Chocolate Malt
10oz. Milk Sugar
1lb. Crystal 80L
6lbs. Dark Dry Extract.

This is 5 gallon batch with a partial boil (3 gal).

Obviously the grains are for steeping, but using Beersmith I came up with:

1.059 OG
1.013 FG
32.1 IBU
37.4 SRM

Your thoughts?

Personally, I only use pale extract in brewing, and let the flavors and colors come from my steeping grains. Amber and dark extracts already have other grains in there besides base malts, and you can't be positive what those grains are and in what quantities. When I was first starting out I wanted to make an amber ale, so I used Crystal steeping grains and amber extract. It was bad. Way too much of that Crystal flavor. But that's just been my experience.

What style of beer are you shooting for here? A porter?

My biggest concern is are you sure you are going to be able to get 78% attenuation using that much milk sugar? Without crunching the numbers too much, it seems like a FG of 1.018-1.020 is more likely, which is fine if that's what you are shooting for.

dfc said:
I posted this in the extract forum, but didn't get much response.

Positives, negatives, suggestions on making the beer better/more to style, suggestions to go eff myself. Any feedback is appreciated.

1oz. Nugget (60 min)
6oz. Black Patent Malt
8oz. Chocolate Malt
10oz. Milk Sugar
1lb. Crystal 80L
6lbs. Dark Dry Extract.

This is 5 gallon batch with a partial boil (3 gal).

Obviously the grains are for steeping, but using Beersmith I came up with:

1.059 OG
1.013 FG
32.1 IBU
37.4 SRM

Your thoughts?

Are you shooting for a Milk Stout? (Cream stout, whatever)

Latest posts

Back