Wooden Brew Stand - A Few Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I decide that since I do not have the skills required to weld or the desire to, I am gonna build a 3 tier wooden brew stand for a gravity system. I am borrowing some of the design (lumber, hardware, etc.) from what I saw here - theelectricbrewery.com

Basically the design is gonna look something like this -

Code:
HLT
3----
     | MLT
     2-----
           | BK
	   1----
               | floor

I am gonna use SP-10 Bayou burners, so the 3rd level is only gonna be about 6" higher than the second (since the burner itself is 13" and my MLT is a rectangular cooler and only about 14" tall) and there will be about 4-5" of horizontal spacing between the vertical wall for the third level and the MLT so that it doesn't melt.

I had two questions

1) Would putting something like ceramic tile along the tops and vertical drops (i.e. between the HLT level and the MLT) be signifcant heat resistance?

2) Since I am gonna use two burners, would it be more practical to just have two propane tanks, rather than switch out the hookups when I need to use the HLT burner as opposed to the BK burner? Building any kind of propane plumbing seems to be a little bit of daunting task and one with not a whole lot of room for any margin of error.

Once I get this built, I be sure to post the specs on materials and whatnot for anyone else interested in doing this.

Thanks for the help.

2 tanks would be ideal if you don't want to build piping.
Cement board would likely be cheaper than tile and more than sufficient for heat proofing.

I built and brew on a similar setup, sorry I don't have pics to share (I should do that some day!).

I used "hardibacker" with galvanized steel on top under the burners to keep it from getting too hot. I also used the sheet metal on the vertical sections adjacent to the burners, and nothing gets more than a little warm. As for the propane, I use a single tank, but have a splitter. A little pricey, but sure makes it easy! I very rarely use both burners at the same time, but have with no issues (at least on low). Splitter is here Y-splitter

Back