Can't tell grains apart...bags not labeled...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieBrandBooze

Reaction score
So, my dad did me a favor and ran to a homebrew shop for me today so I didn't have to make the trip after work. I ordered 3lbs of Munich and 3lbs of Victory malts. The problem is the homebrew shop guy didn't label the bags. To compound that problem the colors of the malts look nearly identical. It looks like one bag has more darker-colored grains than the other but it's not enough of a difference for me to truly know what's what.

Anyone have a good way of knowing these two malts apart? Would the bag with more dark (reddish I guess) grains be a tip off?

Of the pics below the one on top is the one I perceive as having a greater ratio of darker grains when looking at the unopened bags. Is that the Victory maybe?

(man, these closeups seem to contrast the colors a hell of a lot more...maybe this won't be so hard :) )

Thanks for any help you can provide!

IMG_9100.jpg

IMG_9101.jpg

Forget using appearance. Taste em!!! Victory malt is much stronger flavored and quite toasty. You'll easily be able to taste which is which much more easily than going by appearance with these.

btw, if it's a choice b/n 10L Munich & Victory, I'd say the top was Victory.

Forget using appearance. Taste em!!! Victory malt is much stronger flavored and quite toasty. You'll easily be able to taste which is which much more easily than going by appearance with these.

btw, if it's a choice b/n 10L Munich & Victory, I'd say the top was Victory.

Hmm, seems, I wasn't remembering the color of Victory very well and had it in my head that it was much lighter grain. I just looked it up and see that it is around 25L. You are probably right. I don't know why I was thinking it was MUCH lower than that?

I would also taste them. I was going to suggest that before, but was so confident in my apparent lack of ability to identify Victory that I didn't bother! :D

I saw that victory was a higher lovibond too...I did consider tasting them and probably will...just didn't want to open the sealed bags until I had to...the good thing is i have a small amount of munich left over from another brew so I can do a sort of triangle test...I guess I'll report back after that and let you all know who's right...

Back