Hop plug variability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBearForge

Reaction score
Having only brewed two batches and not even bottled one yet my experience with hop plugs is limited. I've used Chinook, Cascade, Horizon and Willamette. The Chinook, Cascade and Horizon were all very fresh seeming and nicely green. The Willamette however while still green were more of a dried up green, as if the hops had been partially dried before they were compressed. They were still resiny when I broke them apart but were definitely quite different in appearance and feel than the other hop plugs, quite flaky actually. I didn't notice any off odors but at the time I also didn't deliberately smell them with that in mind (especially not even knowing what Willamette by itself even smells like!). Beig preoccuped with brewing my second batch it seems like they were a bit earthy smelling.

Is this a normal difference I will run across from time to time or should all hop plugs be the nice green and densely moist plugs like the others I had used?

(I have half an ounce of the Willamette still in the freezer, I will give it a good sniff when I get home tonight.)

Back