This may be a noob question: my buddy got some saliva in the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewin2

Reaction score
my buddy was helping me carry the bucket of wort and then he started talking and I could feel his saliva hitting my forearm which means that some of it got in bucket. Is this bad? (serious question)

How do you think they make Moose Drool?!? NO, really, you should be okay. I would recommend putting the top on the bucket as soon as possible to avoid anything getting in there once it has cooled, but unless your friend has some serious hygene issues, i doubt a few drops of spit will ruin your brew. JUst tell him he has to pay for the next batch if ingredients to make up for it :p

Pretty good way to get lactobacillus in the beer, but it's more likely than not, gonna be fine.

Yeah, what style is it?

Spit'N'Nails (...did any nail clippings make it in?)

Drool Me Once

...eh, that's all I got.

the book I have for homebrewing says that this is a huge no no and its the greatest source and cause of contamination. I hope that this is not the case It would really suck if you lost this batch. If you do lose it get him to pay for the next one and if you still want/need him to help maybe infest in a face mask just incase lol.

the book I have for homebrewing says that this is a huge no no and its the greatest source and cause of contamination. I hope that this is not the case It would really suck if you lost this batch. If you do lose it get him to pay for the next one and if you still want/need him to help maybe infest in a face mask just incase lol.

Damnit. If theres any bacteria in his saliva its gonna propagate no matter what right? Or can the yeast kill it or "squeeze" it out?

It would really suck if we lost this batch, its our first time "brewing" in a couple years.

There is/was bacteria in his saliva.

And there was already some number of bacteria and/or wild yeast in the wort, no matter how careful you were.

It's always a race between the "good" yeast and the other critters. Just have to hope your yeast will win. They probably will.

If the yeast build up a population faster and get a good foothold, they can wipe out the bacteria. Right now... it's a microbiological footrace in your fermenter. :D

edit: gah... Rick beat me!

There is/was bacteria in his saliva.

And there was already some number of bacteria and/or wild yeast in the wort, no matter how careful you were.

It's always a race between the "good" yeast and the other critters. Just have to hope your yeast will win. They probably will.

We used dry Nottingham, I'm pulling for them lol

Don't sweat it. Your beer will be fine lol. Worse things have ended up in my beer.

I am slightly embarassed to say this but when I started brewing I used my mouth to siphon from the boil kettle to the carboy. Then again when I siphoned from carboy to bottling bucket. Did this for the first couple of batches. No infections.

I am slightly embarassed to say this but when I started brewing I used my mouth to siphon from the boil kettle to the carboy. Then again when I siphoned from carboy to bottling bucket. Did this for the first couple of batches. No infections.
+1

I've used my mouth as a siphon for the past 2 years in homebrewing. Once I even spit a little bit out back into the cooled wort just before pitching yeast. I have never had an infection yet.

Back