Spring Valley "Brewer's Yeast": yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaternio

Reaction score
Brewmaster's Warehouse made a note that they didn't have any yeast nutrient in stock on the packing slip of an order, so I needed a yeast nutrient substitute. I was looking for diammonium phosphate at the drug section of Wal-Mart, but I settled on bee pollen as a substitute for the yeast nutrient. However, I found and bought a vitamin supplement called "Brewer's Yeast" made by Spring Valley.

The bottle list's the following as "Other Ingredients": croscarmellose, cellulose (plant origin), silica, vegatable stearic acid, vegatable magnesium stearate.

So I'm assuming that this is basically dead brewing yeast, and as such I am assuming that this could be a good yeast nutrient/energizer. Does anyone have any idea whether it would help or hurt my brew. I am making a braggot/mead, to be more specific.

Edit: it smells like sweet dogfood and vegatables.

I've successfully used old, expired dry yeast packets as yeast nutrient in a boil. Most yeast nutrient powders are a combination of DAP and dead yeast cells, so you should be fine if you throw some of that in with 15 or 10 minutes left in the boil. That way, you've totally killed any living yeast.

That's what I was guessing; I crushed it and put it in toward the end of the boil. I thought it was interesting that such a thing was available at Wal-Mart. Maybe I'll report back my success, or failure if the case may be.

Back