Job Interview Monday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
I have an interview for a new job on Monday, I haven't been so nervous before in my life. I currently have a great job, but I applied for my Team Leader's position.

I can't wait, but I am really nervous. I know they short listed the candidates to 16 people, so I have a 1 in 16 chance of getting the job. I am guaranteed to be the most knowledgeable candidate in the area of the mine where I work, since I am the only candidate from that area.

It will be at least a $40000 a year pay raise, which would bring me well above $100,000 a year. But I lose my union protection, which sucks. Where I am now, I am pretty well guaranteed $80000 a year until I retire in 25 years. Where if I choose the team leader position, I can pretty well be fired for any little mistake.

I guess I go to the interview, see if they offer me the position, then make the decision.

What would you folks do?

Well, With a 40K payraise, you could buy a new snowmobile and retake your avatar pic :)

It'd be hard to turn down a 40K RAISE. I'd like to be back up to that salarY! Damn pay cuts.

Well, was the last team leader happy? Did he have a full and satisfying career? If so I would probably take it. If you are looking at the next 25 years working that is a ton of money over time and perhaps you could retire even earlier.

Best of luck. $40,000 CDN is only like $20 though, so not sure it's worth it. :D

Seriously, Go for the job, don't screw up and enjoy the money.

A key question: is it just money that you are after?

What is it about the job that attracts you to it? If you are challenged and happy where you are but applied at the new role because you wanted a raise without thought for the interest level you will have in the new role you could be setting your self up for failure.

Be careful about your reasons for wanting the promotion. Some people are not suitable for leadership roles.

I'd go buggy doing the same job for 25 years. A 50% pay increase would be tough to turn down. I moved to Las Vegas, in the summer, for 28%. 50C in the shade and I accepted the offer.

good luck with what you decide to do! but i suggest not to take the position just for the money-decide on what would make you happy.
i personally wouldn't like being in a team leader position; i'd rather stay with the union.

Reasons I am looking for a new job:
1. I am not really a union man, I don't fit well within the union and there is "A LOT" of back stabbing within the union.
2. My body also can't adapt to rotating shift work at all, and as team leader I will be on 12 hour dayshifts.
3. I have leadership abilities that are going to waste, I have managed companies before.
4. Not happy with the safety issues in my current role, and can't really get anyone to fight withme to get them resolved.
5. 50% Pay Raise
6. Significant Pension Increases

One other thing, I can take the job for 6 months and go back into the union if I change my mind.

Reasons I am looking for a new job:
1. I am not really a union man, I don't fit well within the union and there is "A LOT" of back stabbing within the union.
2. My body also can't adapt to rotating shift work at all, and as team leader I will be on 12 hour dayshifts.
3. I have leadership abilities that are going to waste, I have managed companies before.
4. Not happy with the safety issues in my current role, and can't really get anyone to fight withme to get them resolved.
5. 50% Pay Raise
6. Significant Pension Increases

One other thing, I can take the job for 6 months and go back into the union if I change my mind.

Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. Go for it! Don't not take a job because you are scared of not succeeding at it. Especially if you think you have the skills!

I would take it, but then again I would never work for a union.

Really? What is it about the guaranteed wage, benefits and pension that you don't like?

Or do you want to work long days and not get compensated with overtime?

Just curious...

edit: and technically you don't work for the union. The union makes sure that the company you work for pays you fairly.

Sorry to hear it - but ya never get anything if you don't try for it right?!

I've never been to Lab City - though my father worked in Wabush for a while a long time ago. (Yes I am a Newfie from the isle)... You said your job is dirty - are you workin the mines?

Rats on the job.

Iron ore is filthy stuff. We used it in the cable industry. Poured it into the trenches so when someone cut through the cable, they'd know it was TV. That way when we called about the cut, they know who they were lying to.

First off, sucks you didnt get the job.

Really? What is it about the guaranteed wage, benefits and pension that you don't like?

Or do you want to work long days and not get compensated with overtime?

Just curious...

edit: and technically you don't work for the union. The union makes sure that the company you work for pays you fairly.

I majored in economics so there are a lot of reasons that would take way too much time to explain, but here are a few.

Do you like paying union dues so that the union bosses get more?
Do you like being part of an organization that will physically bully people to stop going to work?
Do you like working for a company that has financial stress because of the falsely inflated salary, benefits, and pensions of its workers (see GM)? Why do you think auto makers are building plants in the southeast…hint hint we don’t have unions.

I don’t work for a union and I work 40 hour weeks and if I work anything over it I get paid overtime (at time and a half). I also have a pretty good benefits package. Best thing I got it on my own, I didn’t need a union to get it for me. Also I don’t have to pay union dues.

Unions take away competition in the labor market and that can lead to a whole mess of problems (again see GM).

To you edit if you are getting paid equal to or more than last persons’ marginal productivity then you are getting paid fairly.

And cue the union pointing out that yoru 40 hour work week is their fault in 5...4....3....2....

First off, sucks you didnt get the job.

I majored in economics so there are a lot of reasons that would take way too much time to explain, but here are a few.

Do you like paying union dues so that the union bosses get more?
Do you like being part of an organization that will physically bully people to stop going to work?
Do you like working for a company that has financial stress because of the falsely inflated salary, benefits, and pensions of its workers (see GM)? Why do you think auto makers are building plants in the southeast…hint hint we don’t have unions.

I don’t work for a union and I work 40 hour weeks and if I work anything over it I get paid overtime (at time and a half). I also have a pretty good benefits package. Best thing I got it on my own, I didn’t need a union to get it for me. Also I don’t have to pay union dues.

Unions take away competition in the labor market and that can lead to a whole mess of problems (again see GM).

To you edit if you are getting paid equal to or more than last persons’ marginal productivity then you are getting paid fairly.

You could make most of the same arguments against Corporations!

Don't worry, I'm not going to start getting into a big debate here.
I agree there are a lot of examples bad unions, but there are just as many that have proven to be of great benefit!

I think the blanket statement that unions are bad is well, a blanket statement. It's not black and white.

The way I see it, as long as America refuses most govt regulation there will always be some need for unions.

Latest posts

Back