Brew Day From Hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamadoh

Reaction score
Hey All, Just wanted to share a hellish brew day with everyone. If anyone wants to commiserate feel free. First off I have not had a brew in 5 weeks since we had a new baby 1 week ago and the schedule is hectic. So I had to bottle a Centennial Blonde and decided to do that while mashing to save a little time. Right after I hit my temp on the mash I get my hydro sample ready and the hydrometer rolls off the table and breaks. I am committed now and there are no LHBS open on Sunday. So all is gong to be by feel and I hope my effeciency is decent. While bottling I lose a gallon of beer. Then after that I have a six pack cart break while moving bottled beer and get 6 full bottles on my open toes. Finally while sparging it starts pouring outside even though it is sunny on 3 sides of the house and directly overhead. All this as I try a sober brew day to make things go smoothly and quickly. I am now waiting out the rain while my brew pot is covered and need one more sparge before I get things boiling. I have decided to crack a brew and hope the rest of the day turns out better.

That's not too bad. You could have been sent to the store for diapers, rubber nipples, bottle liners or plain old chocolate for momma. Even better, stay with the baby while she catches a nap and the kid cries the whole time or has explosive diarrhea. While the boil is on..

Welcomed to the world of brewing with children.

. . . I am now waiting out the rain while my brew pot is covered and need one more sparge before I get things boiling.

i brew in my carport. i have a lightweight tarp strung up overhead to keep off the sun and sometimes the rain. (be sure it's rigged so the rain runs off. if it collects in a sag it WILL destroy the tarp!)

That's not too bad. You could have been sent to the store for diapers, rubber nipples, bottle liners or plain old chocolate for momma. Even better, stay with the baby while she catches a nap and the kid cries the whole time or has explosive diarrhea. While the boil is on..

Welcomed to the world of brewing with children.

Believe me, I know it could have been worse. My mother in law came into town this weekend so I took advantage of the extra set of hands. I dealt with the three year old while she took care of the infant. For the past five weeks I have just wanted a brew day to relax and it has been on hold cause the wife could go into labor at any moment and I didn't want to waste a batch. I probably was looking forward to this one too much since I might not get another for a few months. Anyways, once I had a few beers everything went more smoothly. I guess I wont side with "brew day goes more smoothly if you don't drink while brewing" movement.

Back