IPAs and their hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_tom

Reaction score
As a San Diegan, I've found there's two kinds of IPA, II IPA, and III IPA's... ones i like vs one's i don't :D :D I'm suspicous that the latter are loaded with a particular style of hops that I don't like.

I like:
Alpine Pure Hoppiness/Exponential Hoppiness, Duet
Pliny the Elder / Younger
Green Flash West Coast IPA / Imperial IPA

What I don't like:
Stone IPA
Avery IPA

So, looking at the clone recipes I've seen out there, like the pliny ones with Chinook, Warrior, Simcoe vs say a Stone clone with Magnum, Centennial. Guess I need to find a hop chart and see where they end up on flavor spectrums.

As most of the beer bars around here have hoppy beers everywhere, it would be nice to zone in a bit on things i'm likely to like / not like. I guess that's what tasters are for though! :mug:

Any thoughts on my tastes, or lack there of?

the one thing I like less about Stone is the Magnum hops they use in almost everything. I can definitely see how one type of bittering hops can make a difference over another.

My preferred IPAs are full of cascade, amarillo, columbus (tomahawk), centennial, and the like. I typically stray away from magnum and chinook unless used on a limited basis.

Edit! Have you had the Alesmith IPA?

Hmm, very interesting post. I'm not sure what's in those IPAs.

The only IPA I really detest is Avery. I don't think it's good...at all. And I think their double IPA is amazing, so go figure!

I have learned I generally don't like beers with Simcoe aroma hops...smells like cat piss to me. :mad:

I was looking for a recommendation on hops,I made a victory hop devil ipa clone and had to substitute the recipe hops because of the shortage.
columbus for aroma,flavor and dry hop
goldings for flavor
ctz (tomahwk,zeuus)bittering
I'm looking to do a different ipa,maybe a double but I'm not real familiar with what the proper protocol is when selecting hops and amounts,I've only used existing recipes as a base.

I have learned I generally don't like beers with Simcoe aroma hops...smells like cat piss to me. :mad:

Good thing I don't have cats then ;)

I have had Alesmith's IPA, and it's also on the like side.

Stone IPA, and, most of Stone's hoppy items, I just don't like at all.. maybe it's the Magnum. Anyone know of another Magnum loaded beer out there that I could confirm this with?

How is the alpha acid % relitive to what hop is added to the brew kettle during the boiling process to get a good finishing result,I prefer really hoppy IPA,piney tasting and very strong aroma,what is a good combination to get this type of result and how much is to much to use.

Stone also uses a lot of Chinook and Centennial.

They DO NOT use Cascade, in any of their beers.

Thanks McKBrew! Excellent reference!

I have tons of hop info where someone else describes the flavor and aroma of hops, but knowing beers to try myself and judge the flavor and aroma is most excellent!

as a fellow San Diegan, I have to say that I agree with you for the most part. Pliny and Green Flash west coast and imperial are by far my favorites. I am not a huge fan of stones pale and ipa, but I love me some ruination (magnum and cent). I don't know what hops are in the ipa, but I don't think it has a prominent enough hop nose and flavor for my taste in IPA's. I recently made an ipa with magnum for bittering and cascade and amarillo for flavor, aroma, and dry hop, and it was great! Actually had a stone type flavor to it, probably due to the magnum. Stone uses a lot of simcoe, amarillo, and athantum(?) also. Simcoe and amarillo are my favorites, although finding simcoe leafs is near impossible it seems. Good luck with your tasting fun!

as a fellow San Diegan, I have to say that I agree with you for the most part. Pliny and Green Flash west coast and imperial are by far my favorites. I am not a huge fan of stones pale and ipa, but I love me some ruination (magnum and cent). I don't know what hops are in the ipa, but I don't think it has a prominent enough hop nose and flavor for my taste in IPA's. I recently made an ipa with magnum for bittering and cascade and amarillo for flavor, aroma, and dry hop, and it was great! Actually had a stone type flavor to it, probably due to the magnum. Stone uses a lot of simcoe, amarillo, and athantum(?) also. Simcoe and amarillo are my favorites, although finding simcoe leafs is near impossible it seems. Good luck with your tasting fun!

Well, on stone's website, they do mention hops per beer.. whether this is the complete list or not, who knows. Which, they clame both the IPA and Ruination are the same, Magnum and Centennial. I know i've had ruination, but to be honest, I can't remember if i thought it better than the normal IPA (too many beers since then!).

I'll add another to the like category... Maui Big Swell IPA, had it last night.. delicious. Only details on their site is that they dry hop with EKG.. :fro:

For the moment I'm going see if Magnum is the common variable in what I don't like. I'm interested to see where the Green Flash Palate Wrecker is going to land (Hamilton's 2nd anniv)... probably give that a go here this weekend

Back