Affordable new/used Good Telecaster sound..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I got the idea of getting a Telecaster copy to (re) start guitar playing.

I always liked the Telecaster concept and sound, and would like to get something like or near it on a budget. Just living room goofing off stuff, no gigging level.

Brand recommendations, beside the Mexican-made ones (and are there several kinds of MIM's?)..?

What's a matter with the mexi teles? I have a MIM w/ a Wilkinson comp three saddle bridge and GFS pickups that absolutely smokes.

What's your price range?

Nothing that I know of (for now).

What prompted to mod the sound, and cost involved?

Same as any other guitar...I give them a full setup when I get them then play them for a few months before I mod to see what works and what doesn't work for me.

I wasn't a fan of the 6 saddle stock bridge and found a place online that sold the vintage style 3 saddle brass comp bridge for cheap (wilky licensed $30 ebay). The stock pickups were just ok at best and I wanted something hotter in the bridge but still retaining that wicked tele cut & definition w/ some more glass/individual note clarity in the neck. I got a replacement set from GFS that fit this bill stupid cheap (15 & 10 bucks..ebay or GFS store @ their retail).

^^^ or a Mexican Tele @ Guitar Center $400.00 new.

Mexe make isn't too bad - you'll want to check and resolder everything that is a little shaky.

Hmm.. I am looking at buying used, cheap.

Or new, cheap, but somewhat solid.
I was looking at Rondo SX / Agile (low cost) offerings, with the idea of upgrading components later on...

yeah, the mex tele is nice. I actually like the sound. squire is the way to go for you. anything can be bought and taken to the local guitar tech and serviced to play like new a great ax for a small fee of less than 50 bucks. if you're not gigging then anything will do.l

beergears - how low are you trying to go?

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/733656752.html
Here is one for $150; not quite Boston, but hopefully not too far out. I couldn't find anything really worth looking at IMHO that you couldn't do better than. I would hesitate on buying used unless you know quality and can see problems or can take a guitar guy with you to check it all out. Nothing sucks more than buying a piece of crap that will actually discourage playing. Buy the best you can afford and if you are serious you will appreciate it later. Pawn shops will sometimes have really good dealsas well.

Hmm.. I am looking at buying used, cheap.

Or new, cheap, but somewhat solid.
I was looking at Rondo SX / Agile (low cost) offerings, with the idea of upgrading components later on...

They will fit the bill...I had an early inexpensive Agile LP copy that was a decent foundation for mods. Decent company to do business with too. Edit: I haven't been in the loop on them as to how they stack up with the other lower price offerings. First thing you have to do is pick a budget and then get the best guitar for that cash you can.

The only difference between Mexican Fenders and US Fenders is a few hundred miles:drunk:. Last I checked US are made in Corona, CA and Mexicans are made in Ensenada.

BUT, that's really not the only difference. They use better hardware on the US versions for one thing. And I'm sure the pick-ups are a step up as well as the wiring and possibly even the wood. I have a Mexi Strat and it's great. As long as you don't treat it too roughly, they can last a long time and sound virtually identical to the US versions. Definitely worth it on a budget. If I wanted a new Telecaster right now (which I sort of do, but can't justify;)), I wouldn't think twice on buying a Mexican one.

Bump.

OK, it looks like there are few cheap Teles to be had, without spending some to upgrade components.

What about your favorite Strat clones... would there be more offerings there..?

BTW, if you search for homebrewtalk with the new search engine, "cuil", you discover a certain HBT member's interest in math and Gibson SG's..!!

Bump.

OK, it looks like there are few cheap Teles to be had, without spending some to upgrade components.

What about your favorite Strat clones... would there be more offerings there..?

BTW, if you search for homebrewtalk with the new search engine, "cuil", you discover a certain HBT member's interest in math and Gibson SG's..!!

You still haven't clarified how much you are looking to spend in total...that would help folks offer suggestions...

Teles and SGs??? Hell yeah!
(pre bridge swap)

Mexican and US guitars are quite a bit different in construction. The quality of the wood, of the hardware (tuners, bridge, pickups and wiring) is better in the US build. Also the work into the bodies and neck are different. Mexican-makes are mass-produced machined guitars whereas the US versions are crafted by luthiers. The factories know what they are doing and put out a decent guitar, but the craft aspect of a US built guitar that meets and exceeds higher standards cannot by ignored.

I own now a US built American Strat. It is beautiful, it plays great and I have never had to have work done on it, aside from setting it up. The pickups sound great for what they are (stock.) I have also had a Mexican strat and Squire make and although they are decent for the money, the fact is that they do not hold up without putting more money in custom work into them. Money that would be better spent tweaking a fine instrument.

EDIT: I have been reading around and everything agrees with the electronics, but the one thing that I didn't think of is the quality of the frets and fret-board. Fender separates the necks by quality and offers the better for the American guitars. After all work to be done to have a guitar that you can play for the rest of your life - buy an American. BTW - play it for an hour beofre you drop the money - if there is a flaw you want to catch it before you buy it. Althought Guitar Center has a decent return policy.

For an entry level or something to play on in the living room a Mexican Tele would be fine - but if you can put the money out, you will be much happier.

You still haven't clarified how much you are looking to spend in total...that would help folks offer suggestions...

Anything over $200 would be wasted, for a start.

I am looking at, in order of importance

- semi-beginner playability (decent neck+frets, ease of adjusting bridge, etc)
- affordable - no need to overbuy, here
- compatible with third-party stock parts-I read that some copies are not
- a good rendition of tele (or strat) sound would be nice

I don't care about looks, and wish I was near NYC, where a pal gigs, and has access to a lot of used stuff.

Interesting perspective NWernBrewer, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with a good portion of what you posted after having owned or extensively played MIA, MIJ and MIM Fender products.

Beergears, your best bet is likely to keep an eye on craigslist or online music forums like HarmonyCentral for a private sale used FMIC guitar @ 200 bucks. I've not played any of the Douglas or SX instruments from Rondo. You might want to check over on HC for reviews or feedback. Don't overlook used MIJ Fernandes or Peavey Reactors if you run across a used one in your price range.

yes, guitarfish, Office is local to me, 30 mins away.

...I am trying to get in touch with them via email, as they are local (main office, at least)... first email got a delivery failure, next one is somewhere..

my opinion: Play the damn thing. Nothing like buying a guitar and not liking it once you play it.

A friend spend $2k on a Taylor acoustic he played at a store. He ordered it online and they sent him a different guitar. One with a nice buzz in the frets and a really high action with crappy strings. needless to say he sent it back and called the credit card company.

when you're ready to plunk down the cash, jump on the fung-wa bus for $15 and go to NYC and buy a used one.

B

Back