more than one way to stabilize before backsweeten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

Reaction score
I know I'm going to want to backsweeten my apfelwein - is there more than one way to stabilize? One way I read was k-sorbate (1/2tsp/gallon) + 1 crushed campden tab/gallon. I have the campden, don't have the k-sorbate. I think I'm going to backsweeten with honey......

I know I'm going to want to backsweeten my apfelwein - is there more than one way to stabilize? One way I read was k-sorbate (1/2tsp/gallon) + 1 crushed campden tab/gallon. I have the campden, don't have the k-sorbate. I think I'm going to backsweeten with honey......

Probably not a way easier than getting the k-sorbate. I'm not wine maker but I understand that campden alone won't reliably stabilize the beer. You could certainly pasteurize or sterile filter but really running by the LHBS or waiting a few days for an internet order is much simpler and easier.

I wish my local wine store opened before 3pm :p I don't have time today to wait around for them to open - so I'll have to wait for another day. I did draw off 1/4 of the gallon, added some honey and put it in the fridge. I had to put a big red X on the juice jug I put it in so my kids didn't think it was apple juice, LOL.

Latest posts

Back