The wait is killing me!! How bout a quickie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheeledGoat

DisMember
Reaction score
I just started brewing a few weeks ago, and I've got some good stuff going that I'm very excited about... but when I do something I like to try and do it right, and that means 4-6+ weeks for damn near everything I've got going.

What to do in the meanwhile?? I can be a pretty patient guy, but I want some beer NOW!

Anybody have a suggestion for me? I don't want to cut corners - I'm hoping there's a beer that gets as good as it will get without even doing a secondary - 5-7days in primary --> keg/bottle --> :drunk:

...or is there no such animal, and just about any brew will benefit from aging?

Heffeweizen!

And get yourself some mixed 6 packs for scouting your next style of beer.
Get 1 of every brand of a particular style, or one of every style from a particular brand....that'll keep ya for a while plus helps to stock up the bottle supply.

Well, it's too late for the swap, but we're doing exactly that!

We're doing the "10der and mild" swap. A mild brewed, fermented, kegged, and then sampled on day 10. I'm brewing tomorrow, and am sending out my beers 10 days later.

The key is low gravity, not too roasty or complex flavors that have to mellow, and an attenuative yeast.

I think a mild would fit you very well. Otherwise, other uncomplicated "session" beers with low ABV and medium to low IBUs will work, too.

Sometimes you just need to go buy some beer. I like to always try various craft beers to see if there is something I really like and have to create a clone for. :)

I second the motion of buying some beer. With this hobby patience is key. I buy it all the time to try different styles. Keeps up a nice collection of bottles as well.

Yeah, I've been sucking down my staple beer (Fat Tire)... but as nice as my wall-mounted bottle opener is, I'm ready to pull from a tap when I go downstairs for my evening refreshement!!

I'm still working on piecing together a kegerator anyway. I've been pouring over Craig's List for over a week now trying to find the right minifridge. I think I'm gonna have to go another route, but I don't know what that's gonna be yet.

Heffeweizen, though, eh? I think I may have to do one of those babies tomorrow!! Thanks!!

Do I understand correctly - a Keezer is a waist-high freezer with a hinge-top that you attach a temp controller onto to regulate the compressor and bring it up to fridge temps?

and a collar to mount your taps to!

:rockin:

I made mine with available funds and left room for 2 more taps when funds became available.

IMG_0245.jpg

I was wanting to ask somebody about that - do you not wear out the compressor prematurely by putting the temp controller on like that? I mean, does the temp controller result in more cycling of the compressor?

Also, is there a preferred wood for the collar (better insulating?)

BRB: I'm gonna go consult with myself to make sure it's OK to hijack my own thread.

I was wanting to ask somebody about that - do you not wear out the compressor prematurely by putting the temp controller on like that? I mean, does the temp controller result in more cycling of the compressor?[/COLOR][/I]

Nope.
My 69 dollar controller from AHS has a +/- 4 degree ratio
So you set it for 40 and it kicks on at 42, and off at 38...air temp. The beer stabilizes at 40, and it barely ever runs.
I would suggest unless you are a 6'3" farm kid...you better skip the 2x8 an go with a pine 2x6 for the collar....it's a ***** to get kegs in that thing without bumping something.

Good god you'll fit a ton of kegs in there! I love the Chewie picture.

1111f6137ZZZZZZZZZ8a10a50915c203516b0.jpg

Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Make a bitter. You could bust a low gravity bitter out in 3 weeks or less if you keg.

OK, cover your eyes - I'm gonna expose my noobness. Ready?

I've just come up empty after searching the recipies for "hefeweizen". On northernbrewer.com, I was expecting to find a kit - but a search only came up with yeasts.

Is hefeweizen a type of beer, mostly defined by the yeast?? If so, could someone give me a specific example of a hefeweizen beer... like a specific recipe that would give me a good starting point? I enjoyed my first PM - I'll likely go in that direction again (if it's consistent with a hefe).

ah! thanks mmb - i should have known to try "Hefe Weizen" and "Weizenbier" spellings. duh.

OK, so those recipies are listed as "Ready In: 5 weeks" - meaning 2 weeks in secondary (or 3 week primary) + 2 weeks bottle condition...

Am I to infer that Hefe-weizens don't really benefit that much from the 2-week aging (as those recipies suggest)? Since there's no caramel flavors or crazy hop additions, the benefit to aging will be minimal, so this can be a 10-day beer? (kegged & forced carb, I'm assuming...)

ah! thanks mmb - i should have known to try "Hefe Weizen" and "Weizenbier" spellings. duh.

OK, so those recipies are listed as "Ready In: 5 weeks" - meaning 2 weeks in secondary (or 3 week primary) + 2 weeks bottle condition...

Am I to infer that Hefe-weizens don't really benefit that much from the 2-week aging (as those recipies suggest)? Since there's no caramel flavors or crazy hop additions, the benefit to aging will be minimal, so this can be a 10-day beer? (kegged & forced carb, I'm assuming...)

Well, ALL beers tend to taste better with a little age on them. So, this would be a great "5 weeks to glass" beer. Other beers, like stouts, need more time to mellow the harshness that roasted malt provides. Or, very bitter beers need time to meld. Or, higher ABV beers, of course. That's why I suggested a mild, or any other "small" beer.

The hefes though are not meant to be clear, and they are meant to be drunk early. So, even though they might be better at 5 weeks, they are acceptable at 2 weeks as long as fermentation is finished.

Back