Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainfindus

Reaction score
Hi there, does any one have any tips for better head retention. I'm brewing a stout from grain and trying to be as traditional as possible so no reduced hop products or other such new fangled nonsense. My carb seems to be good judging from mouth feel but the head is pretty much non existent. Cheers for any advice :)

Use at least a pound of a flaked grain for the stout and proper carbonation and you should be fine. I imagine the grain bill already has the flaked grain already since you are brewiung a stout, but this and/or carapils are the 2 good additions to add to the head retention. That and not getting married.

I add a pound of wheat malt into all my brews. Doesnt affect the flavor, but gives everything a wonderful head.

Anyone else notice that head retention seems to improve with age? Just an observation I've had recently with my English beers now that I have enough in the pipeline and can leave them conditioning for 6-8+ weeks. They also leave that nice lace of foam on the glass as I drink it down...

GT

Ingredients that improve head retention;

• Steeping grains; Crystal, Chocolate, Special B, Carapils, Biscuit & Victory...
  • Oats
  • Wheat or Wheat Malt DME
  • Carafoam Grain
  • Ample Hops
  • Lactose Sugar
  • Priming w/ DME (1.5 cups)
  • Priming w/ Muntons Kreamy X
  • Nitrogen Gas (for kegging)
  • Yeast laden beer
  • Heading compound

As a general practice, warmer serving temps...

:mug:

Latest posts

Back