mighty zeppelin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own everything they ever did EXCEPT for the LIVE stuff...they are really one of the worlds greatest studio band. :rockin: Their LIVE stuff sux everytime. :eek:

Many of their songs have too many guitar overdubs to be performed live...I know, I've studied them.

Other than that, my congrats to the people who enjoyed their concerts. :mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
Their LIVE stuff sux everytime. :eek:
I respectfully disagree. They are inconsistent live, but that's because they NEVER play a song exactly the same way twice. Page in particular, constantly experiments and adjusts...sometimes he makes mistakes and sounds awful, other time he's brilliant. Certain hooks and riffs have gotta be there, but everything connecting these riffs is fair game for experimentation. These guys are bonafide players, constantly pushing the boundaries...in a way that most jazz musicians always are, and most rock musicians never are.

Like you said, it's tough playing two or three guitar parts simultaneously. Page has to hit the important notes & lines, and leave some to the imagination or let JPJ pick them up in the bassline. Sometimes it works well, "Bring It On Home" is an example of a song that sounds great live without the secondary guitar parts.

I'd suggest picking up "How the West Was Won," it's miles ahead of "The Song Remains the Same" and the various tubby sounding bootlegs that are around. Also, "BBC Sessions" is a must have. It's technically a studio album, but a lot of it is recorded straight to tape with no overdubs, essentially a captured jam session. The three vastly different versions of "Communication Breakdown" nicely illustrate the point I made earlier.

Jimmy Page Is one of the greatest and The way he changes the songs live makes it even better and John Bonham is probably the greatest off beat drummer ever and when he sat down behind a kit it was amazing, I just wish I could have seen them in concert.

BlindLemonLars said:
I respectfully disagree. They are inconsistent live, but that's because they NEVER play a song exactly the same way twice. Page in particular, constantly experiments and adjusts...sometimes he makes mistakes and sounds awful, other time he's brilliant. Certain hooks and riffs have gotta be there, but everything connecting these riffs is fair game for experimentation. These guys are bonafide players, constantly pushing the boundaries...in a way that most jazz musicians always are, and most rock musicians never are.

Like you said, it's tough playing two or three guitar parts simultaneously. Page has to hit the important notes & lines, and leave some to the imagination or let JPJ pick them up in the bassline. Sometimes it works well, "Bring It On Home" is an example of a song that sounds great live without the secondary guitar parts.

I'd suggest picking up "How the West Was Won," it's miles ahead of "The Song Remains the Same" and the various tubby sounding bootlegs that are around. Also, "BBC Sessions" is a must have. It's technically a studio album, but a lot of it is recorded straight to tape with no overdubs, essentially a captured jam session. The three vastly different versions of "Communication Breakdown" nicely illustrate the point I made earlier.
As a "veteran" (that means "old") guitar player I have to disagree with your disagreement...anyone who constantly experiments and fails is a failure...

Don't get me wrong I ABSOLUTELY like listening to Zep (24/7/365) as well as Coverdale/Page, Page/Plant (as I said earlier-- I have everything they've ever recorded), but just because he plays "Bring it on Home" on electric versus acoustic does not mean he's being "innovative"...too lazy to switch guitars is more like it. ;)

As for different "versions", anyone can do that. It all depends on which drug your on at the time the tape rolls...been there...done that...kamakaze's are my stage drug of choice...;)

I listened to the videos...they speak for themselves..., but I'll probably listen to the CDs that come out from this last concert (if they are ever released...).

Zep is the word.

I hate to say it, but I have only recently discovered Led Zeppelin. Being a car head, I heard Trampled Underfoot and leanred Zeppelin did it. I liked it, had to hear more, and the rest is history.

Prior to that in the last 3 years, it has been The Doors and Hendrix, then Zeppelin, then Guns 'n' Roses and a host of miscellaneous in between. I find that the best music is at least 20 years old anymore.

I've been both blown away and disappointed by their live stuff. Even when they stick to the traditional blues stuff, it can be all over the road.

That being said tho, I'll listen to it no matter what. I'll take a Zep improv over a Zep canned rehearsed version every single time. (How may more times?) :p

FWIW, whatever moron thought that eliminating the film audio of "Since I've Been Loving You" from the original soundtrack album of "Song Remains The Same" was a good idea should be shot. An awesome take on the song, and deserved to be heard.

Yes, I know and love too much Led for my own good. :D

Ize

homebrewer_99 said:
As a "veteran" (that means "old") guitar player I have to disagree with your disagreement...anyone who constantly experiments and fails is a failure....
Well this veteran guitarist has seen Page perform live three times, and I've yet to hear anything that suggests failure. Every time, his performance was inspiring.

I've also seen technically superior players (Joe Satriani comes to mind) play live, perfectly reproducing every note from their album...and been bored to tears.

Great songs should be alive and dynamic, and I greatly respect artists who try to bring out something new each and every time they play. Some people just want to hear the song they same way they've heard it a thousand times before. They might as well listen to the CD, or a player piano. I'd rather hear a real musician, taking chances and allowing the music to evolve.

I haven't been on a stage in five years, but Guinness was always my "stage drug" of choice.
eatdrink005.gif

BlindLemonLars said:
Great songs should be alive and dynamic, and I greatly respect artists who try to bring out something new each and every time they play. Some people just want to hear the song they same way they've heard it a thousand times before. They might as well listen to the CD, or a player piano. I'd rather hear a real musician, taking chances and allowing the music to evolve.

:mug:

Ize

In my opinion You shook Me from the BBC Sessions is by far the best live performance.

I say that without having watched the link posted above! ( Maybe I will have a new favorite).
:)

Jimmy Page is the the reason i picked up a guitar. Especially a Gibson Les Paul.That being said, he is known for being a sloppy player. But he is a great producer and has recorded some of the best riffs in music history and i can't wait to see HIM live next year..

BlindLemonLars said:
Well this veteran guitarist has seen Page perform live three times, and I've yet to hear anything that suggests failure. Every time, his performance was inspiring.

I've also seen technically superior players (Joe Satriani comes to mind) play live, perfectly reproducing every note from their album...and been bored to tears.

I haven't been on a stage in five years, but Guinness was always my "stage drug" of choice.
eatdrink005.gif
I hear you, but I guess I'm in the camp where I PREFER to witness a performers talent in recreating what they did in the studio. Same goes for the singer...I REALLY DISLIKE a lot of those shrills and trills some singers throw in there at the end just to extend a song or to get the last word (note) in there.

I spent too many hours in a jazz ensemble class in college. I did not learn to enjoy it. I prefer rock.

My intent is not to persuade you one way or another. It's just my opinion and another point of view. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I spent too many hours in a jazz ensemble class in college. I did not learn to enjoy it. I prefer rock.
I'm not real big jazz guy either, and I certainly don't have the passion for it that I feel for blues and rock. I do seek out live jazz though, as I appreciate the improvisational spirit of it...the idea of a song being an idea, or outline, with a recognizable framework but the rest open for interpretation. You definitely hit the main riffs and the hooks, but you stretch out and have fun on your way there! It's kind of rare in rock, but magical when it works.

Example: compare The Who's "Sparks" on the Tommy LP to their performance on "Live at Leeds." Same song, same band, but worlds apart, with the latter being 1000% more exciting.

OTOH, I don't care for "jam bands" where there is little structure at all. (Phish and the Disco Biscuits come to mind...)

Above all, music should sound sound joyful, like the musicians are HAVING FUN playing. But, I seem to be getting :off: so I'll stop there. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I hear you, but I guess I'm in the camp where I PREFER to witness a performers talent in recreating what they did in the studio. Same goes for the singer...I REALLY DISLIKE a lot of those shrills and trills some singers throw in there at the end just to extend a song or to get the last word (note) in there.

My intent is not to persuade you one way or another. It's just my opinion and another point of view. :D

Im the sameway on certain singers, In everyones Opinion Who is the best male Rock Band Vocalist Past Present? I Pick Steve Perry

Latest posts

Back