Help!!! Forgot to add the whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beertk

Reaction score
I finished my scottish ale this afternoon and forgot to add the Whirlfloc tablet to the boil. The yeast is now pitched into the wort (without whirlfloc)and waiting to begin fermenting. I am using the Wyeast Scottish ale yeast and fermenting @ 62 degrees. FYI- it was a full boil ending in 5 gal.

Is there anything I can do to clarify at this point? Is there any chance of getting a fairly clear beer now?

Either way, I'm sure it will taste fine. I am, however, a little nervious of the clarity- I don't have filtering or kegging; bottles for me.

Here's my recipe.
1 lbs. Weyermann CaraHell®
.187 lbs. Roasted Barley
.125 lbs. Melanoidin Malt
.187 lbs. Peated Malt
.125 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt
8 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 65 min.
.6 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 50 min.
.4 oz. Fuggle (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Yeah mang... you are fine. There are plenty of options for fining agents that you can use after the ferment. Gelatin and such... you are good to go.

What do you recommend? I would like to have a pretty clear Scottish. Seams like is will be relatively amber.:mug:

Leave it in the fermenter for two weeks after the ferment is done, then rack to a clearing vessel for a month.

BTW, what was your OG? My last Scottish was up around 1.065. You might want to consider 2 vials of yeast. My $.02.

+1 on racking to a secondary for clarity.

Looooooong age in bottle.

I used irish moss for the first time last night. The first 130 gallons were a little cloudy but tasted great! I wouldn't worry about it at all. Make more next week.

MY OG was also high. I had it at 1.064. I am now suspecting I should have used more than one activator pack. It seems to be having a bit of a hard time getting going- it has been in there for 30 hours now. I see a few bubbles on the top but no heavy action. I wonder if I should raise the temp at all. I have it in my fridge at 58 and it can climb 3 degrees to 61. I figured it might help start the ball rolling to warm it up a bit. Just now I bumped it up to 63 with the same 3 degree differential. If it starts a foam by morning I will dial the temp controller back down.

58 sounds a little chilly. I put my Red Tail clone in at 68 and the yeast did NOTHING for 48 hours. Then it went nuts. You might try warming it up a bit.

68 F is a fine temp for most ale yeasts...58 will probably just make the fermentation take a long time. the lag time is probably more due to the yeasts reproductive stage. once they get rolling, anywhere between 60-70 F is usually just fine.

i would suggest making a starter in the future, tho :mug:

I pitched yeast on Saturday at 4 or 5 pm. No activity to speak of for the longest time. By last night, the gravity might have changed from 1.063 to 1.055 so I was getting a little concerned. I had the batch in the brew bucket(plastic) so I was lifting the lid to see a still wort. So, last night at 7 pm I decided enough already. I will put this into glass since I am having the slow ferment. Keep in mind, I moved the temp closer to 70 degrees on monday. I sanitized the carboy and all the tools up with sanstar and racked it over. This morning I woke up to a big mess. :) I have never been so happy to see a blow over. I installed the blow off tube and moved it down to 63 degrees. I think I am in good shape now.

I have never had a stuck fermentation in all the times I have brewed- till now. Now I know- Forget adding more yeast and just give it plenty of time. I suspect what might have helped was the stirring things up a bit when racking to the glass carboy.

Anyone else been here?

Back