Am I looking at some soon-to-be bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a2brew

Reaction score
I started this batch of cider about a week ago, in 2 50 fl. oz jugs (Midwest Supplies was back ordered on the carboy's I ordered, and I wanted to just get started brewing, even though it was a small amount). OG was 1.05, after adding a cup and a half of brown sugar, it went up to 1.065. I pitched in half a packet of lalvin EC-1118 in each jug and it started bubbling quite vigorously after only a couple hours. Fast forward to today, one jug airlock was bubbling every 23 seconds and the other was bubbling every 42 secs and both had gravities of .990 so I bottled them and stuck them in the refrigerator.

Considering that this is my first still, cloudy cider, I am not expecting spectacular results, just a drinkable beverage. However, I'm concerned that since I didn't take the time to rack it in a secondary and let the yeast fall out of solution/stablize that I might have some danger of them becoming bottle bombs. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

If you going to keep them in the refrigerator and jus drink them you going to be fine. If you planning to bottle it, you have to pasteurize the bottles stop the fermentation in full after the cider carbonates. Usually recommend using a plastic bottle to check the carbonation level.

If the SG stabilizes then that means fermentation is finished, all the sugar is consumed and you won't have a problem. But considering you didn't do any kind of prep work, nobody can say for sure. But you say the airlock still had activity so it's possible that it was still fermenting. But activity every 30-40 seconds sounds on the low side to me so even if your bottles start carbing I doubt they will blow.

Back