Keezer Collar Temp Controller Wiring & Fan Wiring Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched and looked at hundreds of keezer build threads, both on here and the rest of the web and I can't seem to find a decent pic or diagram of the wiring layout for how folks who have their Temp controllers mounted on the front of the collar.

Like this one;

keezer1.jpg

I'm not talking about HOW to wire the temp controller, but where folks run the power cord coming into the unit, and also where you locate the outlet to plug the freezer into the controller itself.

Do folks typically mount an outlet on the back wall of the collar across from the controller?

Also those of you who have some sort of fan blowing inside the chest freezer, how do you have that hooked up or wired?

If you've got any pictures of your wiring placement that would be helpful.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious or something since in all the threads I've looked at with front mounted control units no one seems to bother posting pics of where they run the wires.

:mug:

On mine that I'm building the controller is outside from the freezer. I'm building a full bar but for what your asking....

The controller just splices into the thermostat of the freezer and becomes the new thermostat. So I would assume there would be a pig tail coming in through the back side of the collar down to th compressor and thermostat.

Other than that the freezer just plugs into the wall as normal. Nothing has changed but now there is a digital thermostat.

Hope I understood what your asking right.

I mounted an electrical outlet to the back side of the keezer base. I spliced an outdoor 14 guage extension cord into the love controller and ran the cords (both input from the wall outlet and output to the electrical receptacle) around the bottom inside of the collar and out a hole in the back of the collar. I've had comments that the condensation from inside the keezer might cause later problems so I mounted an electrical box around the back of the temperature controller, used a wire nuts, and lots of electrical tape to try to protect the wires as much as possible.

Here are links to maybe helpful images in my build album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383656940/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383629882/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383620094/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383641584/in/set-72157630158495118/

I mounted an electrical outlet to the back side of the keezer base. I spliced an outdoor 14 guage extension cord into the love controller and ran the cords (both input from the wall outlet and output to the electrical receptacle) around the bottom inside of the collar and out a hole in the back of the collar.

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for all week. :mug:

Now all I need to know is how folks are doing their fans. Though what I might just do is run the powercord from the fan through the same hole that the power cords for the controller are on.

I too was planning to box in mine to prevent condensation.

Now, did you seal up this hole in some way?

7383620094_99ac5d1fdc.jpg

Revvy said:

Now all I need to know is how folks are doing their fans. Though what I might just do is run the powercord from the fan through the same hole that the power cords for the controller are on.

Yea I just used adhesive foam weather stripping from Wally world to fill the hole. It puffed up nicely to block all air flow in/out. I can't feel any cold air coming out the back. I don't have a fan yet but yea that will go right through the same hole.

7383620094_99ac5d1fdc.jpg

This is similar to what I did as well, although I used the STC-1000. I also ran the cord powering that fan through the same hole. The controller is also boxed. The wiring is not as neat and pretty as others on the inside, but you'd never know that from the outside.

I have 2 computer fans in mine. 1 for the coffin and one near the bottom of the keezer to circulate air up. I ran my wiring for that through the same hole I cut for my temp controller wiring, then filled that hole with expandable foam.

What size is your collar? It looks pretty tall. You might want to think about lining it with closed cell foam insulation.

I am working on mine right now and plan to install a NO momentary switch for the fan. When the door is closed the fan will be on but when opened it will turn off. I'm going to drill a hole in the top of the collar for the switch to sit in and probablt drill a smaller hole further down to route the wires

brtisbuck said:
What size is your collar? It looks pretty tall. You might want to think about lining it with closed cell foam insulation.

Wood has a pretty decent natural "R" rating. Shouldn't need to insulate if you have a good seal all the way around.

I mounted my controller in the collar on the back, and then ran extension cord wires through the collar and down the back of the freezer to a single gang box I placed in the compressor area. Power cord comes from the wall into the single gang box, up to the controller and a switch for the lights, and then back down to the outlet in the box. There's a couple of bad pics of the half finished wiring in the build in my sig.

Back