Beer and Pasta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I like pasta, but I find it hard to drink beer with it, since it seems like all carbs. I used to like wine with pasta, but I don't drink anything except beer anymore. Any suggestions for beers that go particularly well with pasta?

you may have the wrong pasta, ever try Dreamfeilds pasta, it's protected carbs are just the ticket, for those people counting carbs.

Beer goes with any pasta...now the sauce you choose may be a different story

Exactly. I like a good pilsner with tomato sauces. Preferably something slightly tart. With cream sauces, and many other italian dishes, I love a nice malty Moretti bock.

Last night I was at an amazing traditional Italian restaurant and they had an imperial stout which was awesome with the cheeses, lamb hearts, and rabbit that I had. REAL Italians eat pasta with lunch or as a "first plate" (basically an appetizer) with dinner. ;)

I've been drinking brown ale or porter with pasta for a long time, I even add some to the mushroom cream sauce I came up with for added flavour.
Regards, GF.

When I think of beer with pasta, I think creamy or sauceless. My go-to bachelor meal was pasta with sausage, onions, red pepper flakes, and greens, which I frequently paired with a glass of porter. Likewise, I can think of many three-days-of-calories-in-one-meal cream bomb pasta dishes I have had at brew pubs with the house beer. But if I am going for a tomato sauce or a bolognese, wine is my go-to.

I am not Italian at all, if it matters.

I tried a Washington's Tavern Porter (by Yards) with my pasta tonight, and I still felt like it was a bit off. I made my own egg noodles with a pasta roller, and then I made a simple tomato sauce and some meatballs to go with it. This is one of my go-to recipies, since it's relatively easy, tastes good, and I can make a lot of it and re-heat some for lunch for a few days.

I'll try an IPA next time.

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to update it with my solution. I was looking for a beer to substitute for wine when I eat pasta dishes, and I think I found it: cherry or raspberry lambic. I never really drank the stuff, but my wife does. I tried some with my lasagna the other day, and it was a great match.

Back