Pils help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
Just got my kit from NB for the Czech Pilsner. The directions inside say one thing the box say another and then the yeast says somthing else. I just need to know if I:

Steep: 15-20 minutes 150 degrees
Boil: 60 minutes
Pitch at 75-70 degrees

what should be the proper primary firmantaion and secdary clearing as I don't want to get it to cold the yeast shuts down nor to warm that it doesn't come out right.

Please help.

Well, if you're using Wyeast #2278, here's what they say:

2278 Czech Pils Yeast. Classic pilsner strain from the home of pilsners for a dry, but malty finish. The perfect choice for pilsners and all malt beers. Sulfur produced during fermentation dissipates with conditioning. Flocculation - med.. to high; apparent attenuation 70-74%. (50-58° F, 10-14° C)

So, you'd do the fermentation at 50-58 degrees. Then, after about 12 days or so, you'd rack to secondary and then do the secondary fermentation at about the same temperature. After the fermentation is done, you'd lager the beer at 34 degrees or so for about four weeks.

I don't know if you need to do a diacetyl rest or not with that yeast- but it doesn't say that you need to. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

I don't know what the instructions would be different - what did they say to do?

Yooper Chick said:
So, you'd do the fermentation at 50-58 degrees.

Okay I think my basment stays around 58-60 then it is a concret floor should I set it on the floor and leave it there?

Yooper Chick said:
Then, after about 12 days or so, you'd rack to secondary and then do the secondary fermentation at about the same temperature.

Again will the basement floor be okay? I hear you guys talk about using floor and wet towels to keep the beer cold. I don't have space or another fridge to store it in right now.

Yooper Chick said:
After the fermentation is done, you'd lager the beer at 34 degrees or so for about four weeks.

What does Lager the beer mean? I am a newby to Lagers/Pils. I have done a few ales but nothing like this.

Yooper Chick said:
I don't know if you need to do a diacetyl rest or not with that yeast- but it doesn't say that you need to.

Again what is this?

Well, brewing lagers is different than ales. Well, the brewing is the same, but the fermentation and handling are different.

A good resource is here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-4.html

What do your instructions say? That would be a good place to start. You said they're different than the yeast instructions, but usually the instructions with the kits are pretty good.

I'd suggest reading up on lagers in howtobrew.com and the wiki (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Fermenting_Lagers) before starting to brew this one.

Oakwood said:
What does Lager the beer mean? I am a newby to Lagers/Pils. I have done a few ales but nothing like this.

Lagering I believe is the German word for "to store". This is basically what you do, you hold the beer at cold temperatures for long periods of time.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I would seriously caution you not to attempt the beer at the high range of ferment temps. You won't get the classic Lager clean profile, and will most likely have some estery flavors in there that will remind you of an Ale. The one main reason to make a Lager is to avoid the esters (there are exceptions of course). Most people use what is called a "Lagerator" which is basically where they can hold the Lager at the proper (colder) temps.

Just wanted to add that Lagers are usually about simplicity of ingredients and perfection of process (imo anyway)

Going to pick up a frigde this weekend and maybe boil over next week. This should allow me to keep the beer at the required 34-40 degrees noted in the online artical. Any other tips are welcome.

Back