Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
Just racked my English Mild (an extract-grain recipe) to the secondary. When I opened up the primary, wham! a really stringent vinegar type smell hit me :( I put on a brave face and tasted the beer, and it didn't taste off, no sour flavours? :confused:

Do I have an infection, or is this smell something else?

I don't know where the smell would be coming from since you can't taste it in the beer, but if it tastes good it's probably fine.

I just had a near-vinegar experience with my porter. seemed to taste like vinegar a few days after brewing, but 1 week after brewing that flavor was gone (if it was ever really there in the first place) so I racked it and am just waiting to bottle it now.

can you post the recipe? i wonder if we have some common ingredient that gave a phantom vinegar presence.

-walker

Walker said:
... I just had a near-vinegar experience with my porter. seemed to taste like vinegar a few days after brewing, but 1 week after brewing that flavor was gone ...

Glad to hear that!:) I read your earlier post and was bummed for you.

Back