Screw on caps - 1/2 gal jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staem

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used 1/2 gal juice jugs to bottle? I have a couple farm bought juice jugs with screw on caps & I'm a bit short on regular bottles.

If anyone's used them & had any success, I sure would like to hear about it. I've heard that the Grolsh style bottles don't seal well long term & was wondering if the screw on caps had a similar result.

I doubt that your average juice jug would withstand carbonation pressures. Grolsch bottles work just fine as long as you keep the rubber grommet seals in good condition.

I just bottled 8 of those liter grolsch bottles, i hope all the seals were good. I am going to give them out as christmas presents with a nice label and bow on them. I am always looking for a cheap present to give out...

Plastic soda bottles work great for short term (less than about 4 months). Be careful with water bottles that look like soda bottles, a few I have looked at don;t have the rubber gasket that the soda caps have, since they don't have to seal as tight to contain carbonation. I like the 500ml ones (a good pint), the 1L (a good tankard of beer, or a pint to share) or the 2L if you plan to take it to a party (essentially a pitcher). The soda bottles are built to take the pressure - they have a much higher burst strength than glass, but are more gas permiable, so your beer is subject to go flat and oxidize over time. FYI, a nice stout in Coke or Pepsi bottles comes in handy when beer needs to be taken to certain places that prohibit conventional alcohol. :rockin:

I should have been more specific, the bottle is glass with a screw on cap that has about 3 rows of threads on it. It's like a Carlo Rossi wine bottle with the fingerhole on the top. I was wondering if I'd have any pressure problems with that cap.

I got peach juice from a local farm cuz the farmer told me to add a lil' rum to it. He didn't actuall tell me what would happen but he winked at me & elbowed me in the ribs. He was right, it made a heck of a combo.

When I moved into my grandparents' old place, I discovered several older glass jugs my grandpa had used for honey (he had hives spread all around the farm). I put them in the attic of my workshop and forgot about them until I saw some plastic screw-on caps at my LHBS. I sprung a $1.20 for two caps and brought them home to find out they only fit one jug......a brown glass 1 gallon jug (with finger-hole) that had a dead mouse inside. I cleaned it for about 1 hour with 3 or 4 different harsh chemicals. When I bottled a cream ale about 6 weeks ago I used it.
Since then I discovered a second, clear jug those caps will fit, but I don't think I'm going to use it.....unless I paint to keep light out.
This past Saturday I broke it open to celebrate OSU's victory over Meechigan. It was the best tasting beer from that batch!! Well carbed, and tasted great. No dead mouse aftertaste either!

The caps I bought were black plastic, with a slightly softer, clear plastic inner that says POLY-SEAL. You might check with places that carry lots of wine making supplies also.
Good luck! :mug:

Metal screw caps will not hold pressure, even if the glass jugs don't break. Sounds like plastic ones might, but I'd put the jugs in a well drained location while carbonating. I use gallon jugs for fermentation, but my experiences with metal screw top growlers have all been poor.

Back