Saison & brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennymae

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I want to clone Boulevard's Saison Brett:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-saison-brett/61449/

I was able to produce a very respectable AG Saison last summer, on par with Boulevard's regular Saison, but it wasn't even in the same beer Galaxy as Boulevard's Smokestack Saison Brett. Boulevard's rendition is the #2 ranked Saison at ratebeer.

I'm hoping this will be relatively easy but I'm prepared to go the distance on this one. After a bottle of Boulevard's Saison Brett, there's no going back.

First off, has anyone tried to clone this nectar before?

Can anyone recommend any resources for working with Brettanomyces cultures?

How "funky" is a full Brett fermentation? Would it have broad appeal?

To achieve something similar to Boulevard's creation, I am thinking I will partially ferment with a "regular" Saison yeast then switch to the Brett at some gravity point. Cold-crash for 72 hours then pitch the Brett to a secondary? Or possibly just condition with the Brett?

Thanks in advance,

-Ken

I'm not sure which Brett they use. I would be tempted to culture it, or I would use Brett Clausseni, because it doesn't seem to super attenuate like the other Bretts, so your risk of bottle bombs is lower.

I made a version of a Saison with Brett, WYeast Belgian Lambic Blend to be exact, pitched alongside the saison yeast. It turned out really well.. nice and funky but not overly sour at all. I will definitely be making that one again once the temps come up a bit.

Hey Everyone,

To achieve something similar to Boulevard's creation, I am thinking I will partially ferment with a "regular" Saison yeast then switch to the Brett at some gravity point. Cold-crash for 72 hours then pitch the Brett to a secondary? Or possibly just condition with the Brett?

Thanks in advance,

-Ken

I am very interested in how this comes out. I love the Saison-Brett from Blvd as well. If I remember correctly, theirs comes in at %8.5 abv. and didn't have anything as far as over-the-top spiciness. Do you have a recipe in mind yet?

I wouldn't call this a "clone" per se, but I brewed a beer inspired by the Saison Brett.

5 gallon batch:
--------------------
10.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
2.00 oz Williamette [3.90 %] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 8.33 %

Mashed at 150 for 75 minutes. Pitched Wy#3724, Dupont Saison dregs and Saison-Brett dregs at 80 degrees and held at 80 for 2 weeks. Finished at 1.000.

The flavor is awesome, and the Brett is noticeable but not overwhelming. It's actually quite close to the level of brett in the original. This version has a very slight tropical fruit flavor that I attribute to adding the Saison-Brett dregs for primary (I think they used Brett C, which is known for pineapple/passionfruit when used as a primary fermenter). You would probably have to wait longer for brett character if you added dregs in secondary, but that would also be a good way to go. The mouthfeel is drier than the Saison-Brett and the finish less creamy. Boulevard uses wheat, wheat malt, and corn flakes in the Tank 7, which Saison-Brett is based on. Overall, this made quite a tasty beer, and it's been well-received when I've shared it.

I'd try getting a culture from their bottle. Also, all brett beers are actually less funky that those with brett added after primary. Brett tends to throw its maximum funk when it is stressed and working hard.

Back