Save the Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
I've just bottled a batch of porter, now i want to save the yeast cake to reuse in a couple weeks for a starter. Do i just scoop out the yeast cake into a sanitized jar and refridgerate?

Check the Yeast Washing Illustrated sticky in the General Techniques forum

ok, so prior to getting this link to the sticky I scooped out my yeast cake into a mason jar that had been cleaned. I then wrapped the jar in plastic wrap and placed in the fridge. Is this ok? It's kind of a practice run because i have a kolsch that im kegging next week, and i plan on pitching a new batch of wort directly on to the kolsch cake.

I've gotta ask, why did you ask for advice in the first place? You ask what do to, get the answer 3 minutes later, and you had already gone ahead and done it anyway?

Yes, you should be just fine. I'd make a starter, though.

I've gotta ask, why did you ask for advice in the first place? You ask what do to, get the answer 3 minutes later, and you had already gone ahead and done it anyway?

Some people just like reassurance, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Besides, if he'd done something wrong, he could make other plans right now.

Back