Confessions of a lazy brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I have a confession to make: I am turning into a lazy brewer. I cut more and more corners while brewing, am I the only one? Here is some of the things I do not do anymore:

1. Iodine test - IMO a complete waste of time
2. Secondary fermentation - I don't do it. 3 weeks in a primary and they go straight into the cornies.
3. Mash out - I don't do it.
4. Multiple step mashing - I don't do it and I avoid brewing beers that need it.
5. Decoction mash - nein, frau Farbissina!
6. Yeast starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!)
7. Washing the yeast - I don't bother.
8. Reactivating dry yeast - I don't do it, I simply sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wort's foam after aeration and let it wake up this way.
9. Whenever possible I try to follow the "KISS" rule: (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

I have a confession to make: I am turning into a lazy brewer. I cut more and more corners while brewing, am I the only one? Here is some of the things I do not do anymore:

1. Iodine test - IMO a complete waste of time (could be a time savor. You could be wasting time with a 60 minute mash))
2. Secondary fermentation - I don't do it. 3 weeks in a primary and they go straight into the cornies. (Same Here, only it's whenever I get around to it for transferring)
3. Mush out - I don't do it. (I'll do this occasionally)
4. Multiple step mushing - I don't do it and I avoid brewing beers that need it.
5. Decoction mash - nein, frau Farbissina! (Not needed in this age of Malting)
6. Yest starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!) (Smack Packs FTW)
7. Washing the yeast - I don't bother. (Maybe if I ever use a rare yeast.)
8. Reactivating dry yeast - I don't do it, I simply sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wort's foam after aeration and let it wake up this way.

I have gotten more "relaxed about brewing also". Don't sweat mash temps, as long as they're withing a degree or 2, Don't cry over missed OG if it's close.

I was so relaxed about it the first coupla months of this year I didn't even bother to brew it. I just went to a store and bought it.

I'm in complete agreement with you on all of these except the yeast washing. Besides being lazy, I'm also cheap -- If I wash one yeast cake and get at least 4 jars of yeast, I've just saved $24, at least for liquid yeast. For the little time it takes to wash yeast, that's worth it to me. Heck, with US-05 dry yeast going up to nearly $3.50 for a packet, I may have to start thinking about washing dry yeast, too.

2. Secondary fermentation - I don't do it. 3 weeks in a primary and they go straight into the cornies.
3. Mush out - I don't do it.
4. Multiple step mushing - I don't do it and I avoid brewing beers that need it.
6. Yest starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!)

I don't consider most of these lazy. The alternatives are mostly unnecessary.

I may start washing dry yeast though if the prices continue to rise.

There's nothing wrong with an experienced brewer taking shortcuts - after all he has a good idea of what works. Its kind of like a great wood craftsman who can "freehand" a bunch of complex cuts that no beginner would be able to accomplish without a bunch of marking an measuring.

Also a lot of the techniques discussed are more advanced techniques and some of them only apply in very specific situations (eg decoction)

But, I wouldn't recommend shortcutting for the beginning brewer.

:ban:what do you consider 'mash out'? i agree with all of the things you say. i have never made a yeast starter in 10 years of brewing. ive never done an iodine test. i usually rehydrate dry yeast in a cup of warm water while i'm brewing, but some times i just sprikle it in. it makes no difference if you do everything else right. i also SUCK at sanitation. i drink my beer to quick to worry about it!!

i do like to decoct. i do it on my german lager and my hefe. i dont know the science behind it, but the beer tastes good and it makes me feel cool!:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

+++
Pretty much agree with your 9 items. Quickly gave up on Iodine test after 2 brew sessions. Gave up on liquid yeast and starters after being thrilled with S05/S04 ease and performance. Wash yeast once and wound up tossing it out after deciding it was a royal pain. I enjoy the thrill of saving money but I am not cheap, which is evident by how much money I have sunk into this hobby. Step & decoction really don't fit into my IIPA needs so never bothered to learn it.

#10 - When someone invents a simple one button clean up system then I would proudly label myself a lazy brewer, until then it seems like I am still putting in a full day of work.

I am the same way.

I pretty much use dry yeast exclusively, and if I use a liquid yeast it's in a lower gravity beer that I can get away without making a starter.

If I make a higher OG beer, I'll just pitch multiple dry packets.

I am lazy too. I do wash yeast though because it's so friggin expensive. I also design my recipes for 60% efficiency and shoot for the lowest OG and highest IBU so I'm covered no matter what happens.

I'm with ya, although I do make a starter if it's the first use of liquid yeast. But I prefer to save slurries and reuse them as much as posible. Oh, and we don't call it lazy...the term is "pragmatic"! ;)

I will wash me some yeast, or step up and split into multiple starters from the liquid yeast up front. Not much time involved really, mostly just watching the stir bar spin and it saves a bunch on yeast.

Other than that the only lazy practice I've got right now is tapping the beer in a bigger glass so I have to go back to the kegerator less often.
:mug::mug:

Same with me. I use DB's method of all grain brewing, and have the process down to about 3.5 hours from heating up strike water to yeast pitching. Most of it I'm just sitting around doing nothing. I only use my carboy for bulk aging or dry hopping, only dry yeast, most beer is drinkable in 5 weeks. Why should I invest tons of energy when it doesn't help that much.

Same with me. I use DB's method of all grain brewing, and have the process down to about 3.5 hours from heating up strike water to yeast pitching. Most of it I'm just sitting around doing nothing. I only use my carboy for bulk aging or dry hopping, only dry yeast, most beer is drinkable in 5 weeks. Why should I invest tons of energy when it doesn't help that much.

That's good time. I've got it down to a consistent 4.5 hours. I don't know how to shave off any more time. How do you do it?

Did an extract/steep Mild yesterday, 2 hours start to finish. Steeped the grain in one pot while boiling the hop-water in another. Strained the grains into the hop-pot at 30 minutes and resumed boil. Added the extract and stirred it in while cooling. Sprinkled the yeast on top. With a 1.036 OG, yeast viability isn't a problem.

Chirp'n and burp'n 12 hours later.

Ha, last week because I forgot a false bottom or even a grain screen as well as added 3 oz of hops added directly to boil I added over an hour and a half keeping grains out of the boil and hops chunks out of primary.

My coil gets 5 gallons to pitching temps in 20 minutes though.

Yeah, for the sake of ease whenever I see a recipe call for Notty I'll consider it just a little more.

That's good time. I've got it down to a consistent 4.5 hours. I don't know how to shave off any more time. How do you do it?

I figure it takes my stove about 20 minutes to heat up my strike water. I mash for 60 minutes, drain wort out of bag for 2 minutes, sparge for 10 minutes and drain for another 5 minutes.

So, that's about an hour and a half for the mash. It takes about another 20 minutes to get to a boil. 60 minutes boil, and about 20 minutes to cool to pitching temps. That gets me to about 3.5 hours. I quickly airate at the end of cooling the wort, pour into my bucket, add yeast and go. If I clean while boiling, the only thing I have to clean after brewing is my kettle.

I don't bother with all of those either except #6 yeast starters. When I make my German Beers, I use liquid yeast, so I have to make a starter. Then again, I make one vial stretch for about 12 five gallon batches.

Responses in bold:

1. Iodine test - IMO a complete waste of time. I wouldn't call it a waste of time, as you could easily shave 30 + minutes off your mash if you are so inclined in response to a starch-negative reading.
2. Secondary fermentation - I don't do it. 3 weeks in a primary and they go straight into the cornies. Agreed, the only beers that see a bright tank are those that need extensive bulk-aging prior to packaging like sours or very BIG beers.
3. Mush out - I don't do it. No need for a mash out if you are batch sparging; just increase the temperature of your sparge water to accomplish the same thing.
4. Multiple step mushing - I don't do it and I avoid brewing beers that need it. I step mash my Witbier, and it's better for it.
5. Decoction mash - nein, frau Farbissina! I've done some decoction mashes for the challenge, now just mini-decoct my Hefeweizen. It really emphasizes the wheat flavors in a way that single-infusion just can't.
6. Yeast starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!) Starters are for growing yeast, not making beer. Faulty logic, my friend. :)
7. Washing the yeast - I don't bother. Tsk, tsk.
8. Reactivating dry yeast - I don't do it, I simply sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wort's foam after aeration and let it wake up this way. Nothing wrong with that.

Who is DB and where can I see his method?

thanks.

:mug:

I'm a HUGE proponent of KISS-centric brewing. Brewing gadgets and processes are only good if they (a) simplify the brew day, or (b) make better beer.

I've only ever done iodine tests once or twice, and quickly discarded them as unnecessary. I have recently started going with much shorter mash times (as low as a half our, and I might try 20 minutes, with a test) for full-bodied beers. I think a lot of mash schedules are still rooted in the early history of homebrewing, and can be cut short when very well-modified malts are being used.

Im probably one of the laziest around, i only primary for two weeks sharp and off in the bottles it goes.
And i don't do any of what you mentioned you don't do either.

I do however collect yeast, i take 3 empty beer bottles, wash em, fill them about a half from a yeast cake, cap em and i put em in the fridge. (gives me 3 additional batches from the same yeast)
put them on the counter the day i brew, throw them in the cooled worth... Bingo.

I take some small notes about each batch, type of yeast, OG, FG, ABV and recipe.

Hey i do love my beer, i don't need anyone else to like it.

I do all grain inside a 5-gal cooler with the grain in a 5 gallon paint strainer. When the mash is done, I just pull the bag out and let it drain. No need to have a filter bed or to do recirculation or any of that crap. Wort is as clear as if I had recirculated it too!

Also, I don't whirlpool or anything at the end of the boil. I just chill it down, pull out the hop bags, and then pour wort + cold break + everything else into the fermentor. It all settles out anyway (or so I think...)

I'm with you on every point and will add that I don't vorlauf, I don't chill my wort below 100f ( I let it cool further in my fermentation chamber). I often don't take OG and FG readings, I don't secondary and I only primary for ~12-13 days, then bottle. I don't keg.

I figured you lazy brewers would appreciate this. For modest ales, I just chill the kettle and pitch yeast in the kettle. Ferment 7-10 days, cold crash and keg. I do seal up the kettle w/ the lid, and a plastic bag wrapped tight w/ a long piece of string wrapped a few times around the kettle. Those pesky fruit flies do scare me, but they don't seem to like it in the cool basement.

:mug:to all the lazy brewers

HPIM0597.jpg

now thats lazy! I like it. For the fruit flies just put out a rocks glass filled with a little bit of salad/apple cider/ whatever vinegar and a few drops of dish soap in that. Fruit flies love the stuff and once that drop in for a drink, they never leave. Put this near the keg and thats where the flies will go

3. Mush out - I don't do it.
6. Yeast starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!)

I'll see your 9 items and raise you the no chill. And 3 weeks is a bit long unless you're making some fancy-schmancy beer. My liquid yeast is only costing me about $6 per smack pack so the yeast goes bye-bye unless I'm following up with the same style. I do make a starter but with no chill that's as easy as skipping it. No secondaries for me. I'd rather let it clear up in the keg so I can drink some in the meantime :)

Here is something both lazy and cheap; After brewing a double batch I left the spend grains overnight in the mash tun and let them sour mash till the next day. Then I sparged it and boiled the wort, no-chilled it and now It's fermenting in my keggle outside on the deck :D

I use starters. They're so easy to make and they make a big difference. Besides that I'm about as lazy as they come. Half the time I can't even be bothered to take hydrometer readings. I stick to extract brewing, though (more proof of my laziness). I'll be getting a lot of grain at the end of the month, though, and I have most of the equipment needed for all grain. I'm sure after a couple of batches I'll figure out all of the shortcuts for that, too. I don't care about brewing perfect beer. Good beer is sufficient for me.

I am still a noob, just 6 brews to-date so I am just learning where I can take shortcuts. I had a real eye-opener about lazy brewing just last week.

My wife and I visited a pub named "Flood Stage" in Brighton, CO. I was happy hour and they had 24oz mugs of their brew for $3!!! :drunk: I got to talk with John the owner and brewer and he shared a lot of how he brews with me when he found I was homebrewing. He never harvests yeast, and never makes a starter. He even was laughing on how unconcerned he was about his mashing temps. His beer was really good.

BTW - when I told him I was an extract brewer and was wanting to go to all grain he told me that the beer that he used as an example of what he could do to get the bank loan for his pub - was an extract beer.

BTW - when I told him I was an extract brewer and was wanting to go to all grain he told me that the beer that he used as an example of what he could do to get the bank loan for his pub - was an extract beer.

i need the name of this bank:mug:, give em a few free drinks and leave with 200K.

I'm very similar to most of the OP, but will do a starter for lagers and do wash yeast to save $. No need to whirlpool - just dump it in. I've been doing PM in the oven and all grain in a cooler with a paint strainer bag, and will likely go back to all extract (w/steep) when ever I can. Did my first no-chill yesterday. Maybe we're not lazy, just efficient.

1. Iodine test - IMO a complete waste of time Agreed
2. Secondary fermentation - I don't do it. 3 weeks in a primary and they go straight into the cornies. Depends on the brew
3. Mash out - I don't do it. Agreed-not needed for batch sparging
4. Multiple step mashing - I don't do it and I avoid brewing beers that need it. disagree- what's so hard about this?
5. Decoction mash - nein, frau Farbissina! Disagree- it's soooo worth it for German lagers
6. Yeast starers - I avoid making yeast starters. Why make beer before you make beer? Whenever possible, I use the old yeast cake either by pouring the new wort directly on top of the old cake or storing the cake in the fridge for a week or two. Sometimes I use two vials of yeast so I don't have to do a starter. I also use dry yeast whenever possible (I love US-05!) Disagree- who has money to piss away on an extra pack of yeast? Not me. OTH, I don't mess with MR Malty, though. A three gallon starter for a five-gallon lager? No way- that's insane and over the top.
7. Washing the yeast - I don't bother. Disagree- again you must have lots of money to piss away on yeast. Not me.
8. Reactivating dry yeast - I don't do it, I simply sprinkle dry yeast on top of the wort's foam after aeration and let it wake up this way. Agreed
9. Whenever possible I try to follow the "KISS" rule: (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)Agreed

10 characters.......

Back