Adding cloves to hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
OK, so maybe this is a harebrained idea, but I have a hefeweizen fermenting with Safale WB-06, and have been thinking (I know, a dangerous habit). I have read conflicting opinions of this yeast but my LHBS was out of the liquid yeast so I decided to give it a try.

I started out at about 70 degrees and was getting airlock action in an hour. The next day, it smelled like the Chiquita truck had rolled over in my family room. Now, I like the banana flavor, but this seemed like alot, so I moved it to the basement and it's now going at about 63 degrees. A little more toned down, and I think I am smelling some more spice, but if in a few days when I taste it, I am not getting much clove flavor, is there anything wrong with tossing a couple cloves in the carboy for a day or two?

The Reinheitsgebot police will probably come take me away, but otherwise, has anyone tried this?

Latest posts

Back