Beer Hop IBU Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I recently had a really really hoppy beer and had a question. I like medium hopped beers. I had a pint of Cascazilla from Ithica Brewing the other day and I was only able to get through about a 1/2 pint. I guess I haven't developed my Hop taste buds enough yet.

This thing made Hop Devil pale in comparison.

Does anyone know what kind of IBU's this thing has? I'm ready to hop up some of my next recipes, but I don't want to get to that level. Cascazilla is like a glass of Cascade tea.

Keep in mind that IBU's don't always express the whole story - you have to keep in mind the impact of the malt flavors in your beer too. I'm doing a moderately hoppy pale ale right now which actually has lower IBUs than my chocolate stout. The stout had a far greater amount of malt and fermentable sugars hence the needed increase in hops to add balance and ensure that the stout didn't come out tasting like a candy bar. Don't consider IBU's on their own - it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison without understanding more about the underlying grain bill.

Keep in mind that IBU's don't always express the whole story - you have to keep in mind the impact of the malt flavors in your beer too. I'm doing a moderately hoppy pale ale right now which actually has lower IBUs than my chocolate stout. The stout had a far greater amount of malt and fermentable sugars hence the needed increase in hops to add balance and ensure that the stout didn't come out tasting like a candy bar. Don't consider IBU's on their own - it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison without understanding more about the underlying grain bill.

true.so true. I feel pale ales are more bitter than ipa's! its all about the balance. 100 ibus? no problem. ha well.. dont know if i tried this yet:D

true.so true. I feel pale ales are more bitter than ipa's! its all about the balance. 100 ibus? no problem. ha well.. dont know if i tried this yet:D

I feel the same way. I think when the hop levels get really high, it seems to balance the bitterness. Might have something to do with the oils.

IBU's are meant to measure the amount of isomerized alpha-acids(bitterness), not hop flavor and aroma. A beer may be perceived as way hoppy, but not necessarily "bitter".

Back