Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey all. I just started my first brew and im oh so excited, just in the primary now. I brewed an oktoberfest from an extract kit but the yeast was white lab's Dusseldorf Alt (platinum series), which has an optimal fermentation temp of 62-69F. My question is how should I go about brewing a true octoberfest (im assuming a lager yeast) and what is a good way to keep it in the temperature range.

A lot of these guys will rig up ice baths with fans and stuff. I'm sure it works for them, but to me that's a lot of messing around every day for six months till your beer is ready. Find yourself an old used fridge and toss it in and forget about it. Also put your thermometer in there to monitor temp (50-55F to ferment, 35-40F to lager)Cheers.

SpecialEd said:
Hey all. I just started my first brew and im oh so excited, just in the primary now. I brewed an oktoberfest from an extract kit but the yeast was white lab's Dusseldorf Alt (platinum series), which has an optimal fermentation temp of 62-69F. My question is how should I go about brewing a true octoberfest (im assuming a lager yeast) and what is a good way to keep it in the temperature range.
I saw your PM, but I can't find my recipe...it's around here somewhere I know it!!

Technically, if you want to brew an Oktoberfest beer you should have brewed it in March (I did!!).

Right now mine is in a fridge at @45F. It'll be there until September...:D

Using the "wick method" should work. Do some research on it and I'll see if I can locate the recipe and send it off to you.:D

Thanks fellas, still pretty new... but I have also come across a "temperature controller" for about 50 bucks that you can plug your fridge right into... could hold promise. I was actually hoping to do one more brew and get decent at the oktoberfest so I coould get one out of the primary and bottle condition it for at lest a month... regardless thnks for the help ...lets POLKA!

homebrewer_99 said:
Technically, if you want to brew an Oktoberfest beer you should have brewed it in March (I did!!).

Right now mine is in a fridge at @45F. It'll be there until September...:D

Using the "wick method" should work. Do some research on it and I'll see if I can locate the recipe and send it off to you.:D

Is it really too late to brew an Oktoberfest? Now that I finally have the setup, I'd really like to. BTW, what is the "wick method?"

Thanks.

BREW ON:mug:

It's just "technically" too late because Oktoberfests are Marzens (brewed in March) beers. Then they are lagered until September.

With homebrewing you can brew what you want when you want.:D

The wick method is for keeping your fermenter cool. You need to place your fermenter inside another container, like a large tub, and put water and ice in it to cool the water which keeps the fermenter cooled. You need to place a towel or sweat shirt over the fermenter and in the water. The water will "wick" up the shirt and stay wet. Some people will also have a fan blowing cooed air on it.:D

Oh, thanks HB_99. I've used that method a lot in the past just to try and control the ambient temp around the fermenter. Never knew it was called that. Finally got a chest freezer to use.

I've never brewed any kind of lager beer before, though. What are some of the pitfalls to avoid. I keep seeing people post about diacetyl issues.

Thanks...

BREW ON:mug:

Give it 14-20 days at 50-55 primary, and then a dycatel rest( in primary,needs yeast as this reduces the dycatel)(needs to heat back up to 60-70 room temp) for 24-72 hrs, then lager starting at 50 and drop 2 degrees every day until just above freezing.

Lol gabe ill just plug in my AUTOBREW17000 nuclear temperature control device with daily adjustments. Seriously I salute your dedication. Do you reset the thermostat every day?

brackbrew said:
I've never brewed any kind of lager beer before, though. What are some of the pitfalls to avoid. I keep seeing people post about diacetyl issues.

Small pitching rates are usually the main problem of most lager fermentations that went wrong. For lagers you will need a large (2 qt+) starter for lagers. Preferrably fermented out, so you can pitch only the sediment.

Keep temps below 55F. You can let it raise up to 60F towards the end of the fermentation.

Kai

Back