Dry ice for carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvolution

Reaction score
Ok, this might be a total n00b thing to ask, but:

Since dry ice is CO2, and that's what we all want for carbonation, could I possibly place a teeny, tiny bit of dry ice into my bottles at bottling time instead of priming sugar? Yes, I know that the pressures exerted by CO2 in a closed container can be dangerous. I was thinking that a tiny speck, just enough to fill the headspace plus a bit more would do the trick. And if, perchance you accidentally put too big a piece in there, you would just let it de-gas until it was almost completely dissolved, then cap the bottle. This is similar to a food preservation method I read about, i.e. fill a five gallon bucket with rice (leaving a little headspace), put a chunk of dry ice on top, let it fill the headspace and overflow until the chunk almost completely dissolves, then apply the lid. What say you?

Disclaimer: This is purely theoretical. I asked because I do not know that this is safe!! Do your own research. The risks you take a entirely your own.

I know a go that tried to recarbonate a flat soda with dry ice. It was in a PET bottle. It blew up and almost completely took off his thumb. He still can't extend his thumb all the wall because of the muscle and ligament damage.

In other words, do it at your own risk.

We used to carbonate soda with dry ice in a 5 gallon cooler, but the lid was not sealed until the CO2 was pretty much gone. I would not try it in a glass bottle and try to contain the pressure, it's too hard to regulate how much pressure you'll be putting it under.

Back