Gaelic Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Recently made a Gaelic Ale clone, but added some of my own ingredients.

1 lb 45L Crystal
1 lb. Munich Malt
6 lb. Amber Malt Extract
1 lb. Amber DME
1 oz Zues (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (leaves) (aroma)
1 oz Willamette (30 min)
.8 oz Brown Sugar
5 shakes of Cinnamon at middle of boil (not sure of measurement)
White Labs California Ale

Steeped for 35 minutes, Boiled for 60 minutes

SG-1.060 @ 70 F

Basically added Brown Sugar to give a sweeter flavor since Zeus might be a little over bearing.

Added cinnamon becuase, well just wanted to see what it did.

Plan to move to secondary Thanksgiving Day, ferment 1 more week, and bottle with 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Ummm... as in Highland Brewing's Gaelic Ale?

It looks like I would imagine it, except they use Chinook, most like for bitterring. I love that beer. I can't imagine cinnamon in it though. Its very nice and spicy, hoppy amber ale.

Actually, there is not cinnamon in it, I was just feeling crafty, maybe I screwed it up, maybe I made it better, we will see what happens.

The supply store did not have any chinook, so I used a substitute.

I personally like thier Black Mocha Stout the best.

Haven't tried the Black Mocha stout. I haven't even see it yet. We have a local beverage depot that carries the Oatmeal Stout IIRC, the Wheat, and the Gaelic. I love the Gaelic though, its a nice hoppy amber. I'll have to try a clone one day so I copied your recipe, where did you find it? I notice you live right near the brewery so maybe you know somebody ehh?

I did a similar clone of the Gaelic that is my favorite beer that I've made. I'll post the recipe once I brew it again and get the hops dialed in. I'm from NC, and can't get Highland beers here, so being able to make something close makes me really happy.

I'll have to try a clone one day so I copied your recipe, where did you find it? I notice you live right near the brewery so maybe you know somebody ehh?

Just remember, the brown sugar and cinnamon are not in the recipe.

One of my local supply stores (Hops and Vines) has all of the Highland Clones. i will probably post some more in the coming months.

They also have Pisgah, French Broad, and Asheville Brewing Co. clones. I'm not much of a fan of Pisgah and French Broad.

Latest posts

Back