RedHook Winterhook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

I love it! It's kinda like longhammer with its hops, but much more maltier, and with more color and body

I had a philosophy professor that was crazy about RedHook Winterhook. I remember him spending a good portion of one class lamenting the fact that he couldn't get it in Pennsylvania.

I, personally, have never tried it, mostly because I've never seen it available for sale, but ever since that class (which was nigh on five years ago now), I've had it in the back of my mind. Is it an out west thing, or am I just missing it when I go to the bottle shop? I'll admit I've never actively sought it out, but I'm sure if I ever saw it I'd pick it up.

I dunno if it's bottled or not - just saw it on tap in Albuquerque this week at a couple different places...

You can find it in bottles. I haven't tried it even though it is readily available because Redhook beers are typically only average IMO. Descheutes Jubelale ranks high on my list of seasonal beers, but I do need to expand my horizons this year so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Jubelale is one of my favorite winter warmers, definitely worth trying.

I'm trying Winterhook for the first time today, and I find it quite tasty. Nice maltiness and great hop flavor. I'm surprised they say only 29 IBU, I'd guess more. The only bad thing was looking at their website - worlds most annoying "bartender".

Winterhook is tasty, indeed. I also usually like Widmer Snocap and Deschutes Jubelale. I am REALLY disappointed in FS Wassail. It's bland.

In fact, Full Sail has kinda' gone the way of the Redhook brewery, 'cept Winterhook and DB Stout, of course!

i just bought a 6 pack of this the other day, and this is such a delicious beer, i think i might have to go back to the store for more. with strong malt and hop flavors and aromas, this is a perfect brew for a chilly night.

definitely pick it up if you find it.

I had a fridge full of stuff this weekend so I had a Winterhook, followed by Widmer Brrr, and then a Jubelale. I've had them many times before but never back to back. I need to do it again sober and do it as a tasting. I can't say that I really remember too much from that night :drunk:

Red Hook has not changed. We have. I remember ESB being the best of the best back in the day. In fact it was my first legal drink. I still consider it my BMC. So many breweries have pushed and pushed since then that Red Hook seems ordinary now. How can one find it particularly memorable when one has had a DFH 90?
Winterhook is good but I wait all year for Snow Cap (not too stoked about this year's) Jubleale and Big Foot. Wassail did not impress me this year either.

the only redhook product that has changed substantially over the years has been their ipa, currently known as long hammer, formerly known as ballard bitter. original ballard bitter from around 1990 was much hoppier and maltier than the later ballard bitter and present day long hammer..

I was not a winterhook fan. I have had it fairly often when I lived in Seattle and had some last winter but my tasted buds have changed since then so I may be a fan now, I need to find some I guess.

Pyramid Snow Cap has always been one of my favorites, but I too am disappointed with this year's edition. That and the ridiculous new label. I'm going to Seattle tomorrow, so I might stop by and see what they changed (if anything, I may just have a bad case).

Back