super kleer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
i added super kleer to my mead and its working great but after 3 days it has a lot of chunks stuck in the middle layer of the carboy. will this settle out or should i put it into the fridge to cool it and let it settle

Chunks of what? Did you degas good before using the fining agent and what is the temp? Most fining agents work better at around 72* and degassing should be done prior to adding fining agent and degassing is best done at 74* since C02 is esier to get out at warmer temps.

i didnt do anything i just poured it in like the package says. im not sure what the chunks are exactly its a strawberry mead so it could be some of the berrys. most of the stuff has settled in the bottom but at the middle theres stuff just floating.

<cast: raise undead thread>

If you use finings, such as Super Kleer, is there a "too early" point to add them? Will they affect flavor compounds if added before a certain point? How soon after secondary racking can they be used?

I think that as long as the fermentation is complete, and you're not going to be adding anything else to muck up the clarity, you can add the finings. That being said, you should probably wait a bit after your final racking to see if it clears on it's own...if you don't *need* finings, why add them? (Yes, they can affect some flavor compounds...)

I've used super kleer in a mead and it takes some time to completely settle. I think I waited 2 or 3 weeks before I bottled.

Back