Direct fire Kettle MLT - recirculate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I'm in the process of taking delivery of gear for my first AG rig and had a question about managing my MLT over direct heat. In my spare time, I'm designing and redesigning my rig and thinking about everything that can go wrong and basically being impatient and I'm thinking direct heat carries the significant risk of scorching and uneven mash temps.

I was mostly planning just watching the temp like a hawk and diddling with the LP regulator a bunch. However, I also thought that I could recirculate my mash by pumping it through my fly sparge.

Is this was a good idea or am I just overcomplicating a non-problem? Other than RIMS and HERMS types of setups, are there other easy ways to mitigate possible problems?

Gordie

Gordie said:
Howdy y'all. I'm in the process of taking delivery of gear for my first AG rig and had a question about managing my MLT over direct heat. In my spare time, I'm designing and redesigning my rig and thinking about everything that can go wrong and basically being impatient and I'm thinking direct heat carries the significant risk of scorching and uneven mash temps.

I was mostly planning just watching the temp like a hawk and diddling with the LP regulator a bunch. However, I also thought that I could recirculate my mash by pumping it through my fly sparge.

Is this was a good idea or am I just overcomplicating a non-problem? Other than RIMS and HERMS types of setups, are there other easy ways to mitigate possible problems?

Gordie
If you have a false bottom that has liquid under it like the split style plates that gives me about 2 1/2" of liquid under the false bottom. That way you can do temp raises with out scorching the grain. You do want to stir the mash troughly when raising the temp to distribute the heat evenly.

You can create the sam effect with a larger vessel of water under your tun, and a couple of bricks in this vessel to keep the tun off of the bottom.

Kind of a huge double boiler.

Back