Going to Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALF

Reaction score
SWMBO and myself are going to Belgium for our 25th wedding anniversary. I have been doing research...where to go, what to do etc.

There is just so much beer and so little time. :tank:

Im trying to get a list of "can't miss" beers while I'm there. What Im thinking is 5 or 10 beers that are not easily/imposibly available here in the US, but are possibly availabe in Belgium.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance

1. Westy 12
2. Cantillion
3. Rodenbach

I have no suggestions for you..... unfortunately..... but I am jealous.

I like the list you have - I love Rodenbach.

Seems that I listened to a podcast about going to belgium/beer, etc..... Brewing Network maybe? I will look, or maybe someone knows off the top of their heads??

Here are a couple I found - Stu Stuart (Belgian Beer Me tours) I seem to remember him talking about where to go, what to look for,etc. Sunday session is a long podcast, so might need to fastforward through it to find that segment - I remember it being pretty interesting though - Might be some useful info for you.

7-23-12 Sunday Session Brewing Network
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/895
9-24-12
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/908

I have no suggestions for you..... unfortunately..... but I am jealous.

I like the list you have - I love Rodenbach.

Seems that I listened to a podcast about going to belgium/beer, etc..... Brewing Network maybe? I will look, or maybe someone knows off the top of their heads??

Here are a couple I found - Stu Stuart (Belgian Beer Me tours) I seem to remember him talking about where to go, what to look for,etc. Sunday session is a long podcast, so might need to fastforward through it to find that segment - I remember it being pretty interesting though - Might be some useful info for you.

7-23-12 Sunday Session Brewing Network
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/895
9-24-12
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/908

Yeah it's this tour. I've been thinking about going on it too. It is a bit pricy, but the whole trip is planned out for you in advance. The only thing I don't like (from what I've gathered) is that you don't get the two crates you would normally get from calling in advance.

As far as Belgium, you're going to have a blast. Aside from the beer, there's lots of great architecture and history in the place. The people are friendly, and there's a lot of great chocolate :ban:

I know you can get Achouffe in the US pretty easily, but I'd still like to go to their brewery as well.

You will have a blast!! Dont worry about getting a list going, you will see a ton of beers that you have never heards of. Every pub has a unique selection from a wide variety of countries.

Oh ya and eat as MANY WAFFLES AS YOU CAN.....they are amazing.:D

If you have the time and $$$, I highly suggest http://www.bonbeer.com/
This is a once in a lifetime adventure/party. Live on a barge, visit about a dozen breweries and more bars than you can count. The food on the barge is gourmet and the tour guides are just like going with friends. Check out the websight and let me know if you have any questions. i would seriously consider doing another trip with them if there were other breweries involved.

Sheldon

Another thumbs up for BonBeer.com trip. Did that last fall and it was the best traveling experience I've been on and it's really like traveling with your best beer drinking friends.

my opinions- cantillon and rodenboch are nearly ubiquitously available, so once you've had your fill on the regular stuff i suggest seeking out some of the variants, you can find vintage bottled rodenbach in 750s and grape/elderflower/raspberry/etc cantillon, or the dry hopped all-malt cantillon 'iris', or their alternate gueuze 'cuvee saint-gilloise', good beer bars will have these, and maybe even some vintages. and of course the other lambic breweries oud beersel, 3 fonteinen, girardin, etc.; cantillon has cult status but these others aren't to be sneezed at! try some of the 'real' flemish sour brown ales, which are really quite rare and i don't think many are exported. but once you get to a beer bar and get a 25 page menu you will be a kid in a candy shop and plans go out the window. finally i suggest impress the flanders locals with your fabulous pronunciation, and call westvleteren vest-FLAY-teren rather then west-VLEH-teren!! and try the 8, it's overshadowed by its big brother but it's spectacular!

No personal experience in Belgium, but if you have access to the books Wild Brews, Brew Like a Monk or Farmhouse Ales they all have pretty nice write ups on several different breweries. Might be good to read to get a feel for what ones sound most interesting to you. Not to mention they are all great books.

By the way; Have Fun, trip sounds awesome!!!

Back