tank pressure with newly filled tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
What should the tank pressure gauge read with a newly filled tank?

I just switched primary regulators for troubleshooting. The one i switched to had a tank pressure gauge that i have never used, so i am unsure what it should read.

It hasn't read above 1000psi since i hooked it up, so i feel like it didn't get filled very fill, but i am not sure what it should read.

The high pressure side will read between 900 & 1000 psi until its empty. Much as you would want it to be, it is not like a fuel gauge on a car. The pressure will not decrease as you use it. The best way to tell how much CO2 is in the tank is to weigh it. Some where stamped on the tank is the empty weight. Put it on a scale and the difference in weight is how much gas you have.

That's good to know it will read between 900-1000PSI until it is empty.

Why will it only read 500PSI in the fridge? That might be what is happening to me...

I started troubleshooting with this newly filled tank because I suspect I have a leak. I pressurized my whole system and turned off all the valves to isolate the leak (including the tank valve). So I freaked out that the tank didn't get filled all the way when I saw the tank gauge reading 500PSI. I wasted a *little* bit of CO2 tonight, but not that much!

As for the leak, it looks like it is happening with two different primary regulators. The rest of the system appears to be holding pressure. I am concerned both of the primary regulators are leaking at the interface for the tank and primary regulator. I've got that connection as tight as it will go. Any ideas why this would have started leaking all of the sudden? Could something be wrong with my tank? :(

It is gas under pressure. At warmer temperatures, the pressure is greater. Chilled, in a refrigerator, the pressure is lower.

To address the leak question, is there a washer inside the nut that connects to the tank?

I thought the co2 was liquid in the tank and that's why the tank gage doesn't act like a car gas gage. Or is the 500psi the pressure of the co2 gas in the head space? That makes sense why it would read lower in the fridge.

There is no washer. I wonder if i lost it? What do they look like?

snowtires said:
White plastic washer.

Some are white, some are red. They are similar to what is in a garden hose but are rigid. They are NOT rubber, more like plastic or Teflon.

Found some spares. Evidently some are also black. I placed a dime in the photo to reference size and stood one on edge to show thickness.

image-1445814099.jpg

I think its nylon to be more specific. I had the same problem when i first got my keg equipment. Found it in the trunk of the car.

Ah crap! I did loose it! Should my LHBS have more or will i need need to go to a different store?

FYI, the leak was def caused by the missing washer. No leaks now! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back