Stupid Noob with a Stupid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbd2c

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my second batch, since my first is in the secondary fermenter and about a week away from bottling. I noticed on my first batch that though I started out with 5 gallons of water in my full boil, I ended up with considerably less.

My question is whether I should be starting with 5 gallons of water or planning ahead so that I will end up with 5 gallons.

I'm not worried at the fact that I will end up with less bottles of beer. I am worried because when I racked it to the secondary, there was a significant amount of airspace left in the carboy.

I appreciate everyone's help. Although this is my first post, I have been soaking in so much from this site for the past month. You guys have been invaluable.

-Andy

If you do full boils for 60 minutes, you will evaporate on average 1 gallon. Try to start with 6.25 gallons before you boil. Then you will finish with 5 gallons.

I think 6.25 might be a BIT too much. I usually start with 5.75 or 6 and after a 60 minute boil I still end up with a bit more than 5 gallons.

But to answer your question, YES, you need to start out with a bit more than 5 gallons.

You always CAN add water to get it back up to 5, but that is not advised and might mess with your temperature.

heertsy said:
I think 6.25 might be a BIT too much. I usually start with 5.75 or 6 and after a 60 minute boil I still end up with a bit more than 5 gallons.
Yeah but you haven't seen EdWorts Banjo burner.

Start with 6+ gallons of preboil.

Adjust your boil intensity to get to 5.25 gallons of wort in the fermenter.

Plan on losing .25 +/- to trub and hydrometer samples.

Last edited by a moderator:
their is no such thing as a stupid NOOB, but there are stupid questions (this isn't one)

libs said:
their is no such thing as a stupid NOOB, but there are stupid questions (this isn't one)

I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, Welcome to the forum. :mug:

I've been able to boil off as little as 1/2 gal and as much as 1.5 gal starting from 6 gal by varying how vigorously I let it boil. If you keep it so it's just barely turning the surface over (have to stir it more with this method), you can keep the evaporation rate down to about 5%. But if you do a full-blown vigorous boil (my understanding is vigorous = better), you can push 15% evap rate. Beersmith software defaults to a 9% evap rate. Hope that helps.

I don't think 6.25 is too much I usually boil 7 gallons+ to get 5.5 gallons, its all trial and error, your system and elements are different than everyone else's, after a few more you'll dial it in. Good luck.

I've been able to boil off as little as 1/2 gal and as much as 1.5 gal starting from 6 gal by varying how vigorously I let it boil. If you keep it so it's just barely turning the surface over (have to stir it more with this method), you can keep the evaporation rate down to about 5%. But if you do a full-blown vigorous boil (my understanding is vigorous = better), you can push 15% evap rate. Beersmith software defaults to a 9% evap rate. Hope that helps.

I've been doing a bit of reading in George Fix's "Principles of Brewing Science," and it seems as though the real sweet spot in boiling is where you're boiling off around 7%. I don't know if that was 7%/hour or what, but i remember 7%

I just finished my all electric rig and I "dialed" it in so that I'm burning off about 1.25 gal/hour. I'd start off with at least 6.25 gallons, back when I was using propane I was starting with 6.5 gallons to get a final 5 gallon batch.

As everyone said, boil more. That is if you have a big enough pot. I don't think you have to get the evap % exact. I would err on the small side. Too much wort would not be desired. Get close and if you boil slightly less, just have some pre-snaitized water ready to add to the fermenter to bring it up to 5 gallons.

I always boil and cool a gallon or two of water in advance.

My boil pot is not really big enough. I can comfortably get 4.5 to 5 gallons in there before evaporation but that's all. Recently I have been doing a late extract addition and adding my second half of extract in some boiling water at the last hop addition. This brings me back up a little but I always have to add some water to the fermenter.

Dennis

The best way to know is to keep a log and figure out what YOUR boil off rate is on average, so that you can know ahead of time how to adjust for future batches. Everyone will have different rates based on the size/diameter of their pots, intensity of their boils, and other factors like elevation, etc. Again, best way to figure it out is to keep good notes. Also, you can always top off with water if you under shoot, and boil longer if you over shoot (but that can mess up the hops schedule if you're not paying attention). So, in my humble opinion, it seems better to undershoot until you have your own data to work with.

Back