New Smoker - How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to give a Cabella's electric smoker a try. I've never done one before but I am cooking up a 3# butt and a 6# picnic. I'm thinking 9-10 hours at 215F or so should do it. Am I on the right track? What's your favorite pulled pork barbeque sauce recipe?

I greatly prefer the vinegar-y sauces, but I think my family likes sweet sauce. Don't have my recipes here at work.

I need to be at about 250 to get mine to finish in that time. Meat rushes to 160, then takes forever to get to 190. The hump!

the picnic usualy cooks longer than a butt. lot more fat, and not quite as "together" as a butt. At least that's been my experience.

passedpawn said:
I greatly prefer the vinegar-y sauces, but I think my family likes sweet sauce. Don't have my recipes here at work.

I need to be at about 250 to get mine to finish in that time. Meat rushes to 160, then takes forever to get to 190. The hump!

Thumbs up to the vinegary BBQ sauce for pulled pork. Family loves it. And coleslaw for either on the side or on top of the meat/sauce. Yum

Back