Yeast cake is now at the top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beebe

Reaction score
All I found in a search was related to beer so I will ask here?
I have a black berries mead that I started back in January. Kind of a test in a way and I have added fruit and honey at different times in the process. Base start was 15gal honey and 5lb of black berries in a 5gal bucket! Added more berries a few times and racked a few times.
About two months ago I thought it needed more body and fermentation was done at the time so I added 12oz of honey to give it more flavor.
At that time it started bubbling again and has been at it for a while. Today I noticed that the yeast cake is now at the top of the carboy and the bubbles are much less.
What does this mean? In past batches I have never had the yeast cake come up to the top? I would assume that a gravity reading would be the best now but more curious about the floater!
Yeast was lavin 1116 and I ended up with about 15lbs of black berries in the batch!

Chris

I'm a little confused by your post but My thought is that what you're seeing is something called a krausen. this will sometimes happen in the first couple days of fermentation. it will usually settle out in a couple days or a week or so. Nothing to worry about in fact it is generally a good sign.

this will sometimes happen in the first couple days of fermentation. it will usually settle out in a couple days or a week or so. Nothing to worry about in fact it is generally a good sign.

To try to clarify, its the sediment that has been at the bottom of the carboy for two months, now it is all at the top of the carboy in big chunks!:drunk:

did you say that you recently added more honey? If you did, it may have restarted the fermentation making the yeast wake up and start more activity.

Back