My Keezer build.. finally complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
Well I decided to hold off on posting any pictures until I really felt my keezer was done. I scored the chest freezer itself off craigslist back in Dec, for $75. I've measure the internals, and the compressor hump, and it comes out to about 8.5 cu.ft.

Anyway, here's the pics.. w/ some comments. SO glad it's finally done.. it's def. been a work in progress with stuff getting added about every 10 days on average, the last thing being the wire shelf that the kegs sit on.

The first day.. fitting it for kegs. holds 6 no problem w/o a collar
IMG_0407.jpg

Double hinge design, and some one sided sticky weather stripping from Lowes.. fit perfect.
IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Close up of 10# tank out side the keezer. The valves are swivel nuts, so they can come off and I can take the tank with me if need be w/o cutting hose. I have a 2' gas hose with a gas QD that is portable to take with me. Both hoses go straight through the collar. I forget the hole size i drilled, but hoses are very snug.
IMG_0688.jpg

Freezer lid up. The double manifold is for wheat beers for the wife. That reg. is set to just under 20 psi. the 4 space manifold is for my beers, generally pale ales and ipa's but also do reds and ambers, reg. set at ~12 psi.
IMG_0689.jpg

A look inside with it all plumbed up.
IMG_0691.jpg

Peeking down in there you see the last addition, the Nexelon wire shelf. This helped tremendously in cooling. The last thing I am going to add is a fan.. The 6th keg is not on the shelf, I'm going to buy a cooling rack (like you cool cookies on) for that one to sit by itself.
IMG_0692.jpg

Link to shelf, only $35. 14" X 24"
http://www.superiorshelving.com/store/nexel/shop.cgi?c=detail.htm&itemid=S1424N

Pic of collar up. Perfect for changing out kegs, cleaning, etc.
IMG_0693.jpg

The drip tray. The magnets are from lowes, they come in 2 packs. two fo them fit perfect on the L brackets. Drip tray is just sitting, unattached, on top, so easy to take off and clean. I put one full pint on it, it didn't budge.. I didn't test but it can probably hold 3ish pints or so, evenly distributed.
IMG_0695.jpg

Con't.

Black and white is another chest freezer I scored off CL for $50, it is my fermentation chamber
IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

and the beer fridge, hop and pint glass storage in the freezer.
IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

all 3 appliances are on the same plug.. My circuit box is about 5' to the right of my ferm. box.. so I think I may plop in a new circuit with a plug just below it and plug in the two chest freezers there.

Anyway, that's it, I thank the homebrewtalk team endlessly for ideas and inspiration. That is finally done. Next up is either a better wort chiller, yeast starter set, or maybe an oxygenator set. Either of those 3 will pale in comparison with the cost of the keezer. For those interested, here's a quick breakdown:

Chest Freezer $75.00 CL
Beer Line X 40' $19.00 Kegcowboy.com (KC)
Gas Line X 20' $11.40 KC
4X 3.125" Shank/Nipple $39.90 KC
4X Perlick 525SS $110.16 KC
4X Faucet Handle $8.17 KC
Freezer Thermostat $39.00 (Chi Company)
6-Way Manifold $73.00 (homebrewhq.com)
CO2 Tank $75.00 KC
4X Gas/Liquid Posts $52.00 KC
Regulator $36.00 (Keg connection)
Secondary Regulator $50.00 (Homebrewhq.com)
Drip Tray $25.00 (KC)
Magnets/Bracket $15.00 (Lowes)
Check Valve/Swivel Nuts$19.80
Collar/Hinges $20.00 (lowes)
Paint $15.00 (lowes)
Total $683.43
6X kegs $183.80
Total $867.23
Total w/Tax $938.78

Fermentation chamber:
Chest freezer $50 CL
Johnson therm. $60 somewhere online