Huckleberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Had some Huckleberry ice cream last week and thought that it would really taste good in a stout. Thinking about brewing this but just worried about finishing it in time before I deploy. Anyone have any experience using these in a brew? How much should I use? There's a place up here in Alaska where I can get either concentrate or frozen huckleberries up here but the frozen ones are mixed with blueberries. I'm being told that the mix with blueberries won't matter because the huckleberries will overpower them. The other option is to wait until the summer after I get back and get them fresh picked. What do you all think?

Hmmm... Laughing Dog Brewery made a Huckleberry Stout, and I wasn't really keen on it. That being said, I only like a couple of their beers.

I thought the really fruity character of the Huckleberries really didn't match with the roasted malts.

Have you thought about using real berries and adding to an amber ale?

I had considered adding to something lighter but I kinda prefer berries or fruity flavors in darker beers (one of my favorites for me and my wife to brew is a Chocolate Raspberry Stout). And adding the real berries was a possible option of mine hence getting them fresh picked in the summer and using those instead.

True enough. I have made raspberry and cherry stout and it was good. Blueberry stout wasn't so good.

I think the perfumey nature of the huckleberries is a bit different than other berries. Give it a try!

Back